Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle upgrade suggestions please

Looking for suggestions on how to go about building the axles on my TJ.

Here's my thoughts, still pretty new to all of this, so I'm looking for some suggestions on how to go about it. I'm mostly broke and I blame craigslist.

I'd like to build a LCG jeep (my daily driver as well, commute 60 miles a day) I currently have a stock D30 in the front and a stock D35 with an OX locker in the rear, and a 2.5" RC lift that I'm pretty happy with.

I want to run the genright hi-line tube fenders and fit 35s with my little lift, but I need to upgrade the axles and the 3.73 gears first.

I'm thinking I'll watch craigs for a used D30 and build it up with 4.56 gears, molly axles basically piecing together a super 30 and just leave it in the garage till I can build either a D44 or an 8.8 the same way, piece by piece.

I'd also like ARB air lockers front and rear.

I have about $400 a month to work with so it will take some time and I need a SYE for the lift I have (slight vibes here and there)

So what do you guys think? Short of a rich unknown relative dieing and leaving me a bunch of money or winning the lotto... Is there a better/faster way to build the axles I want?
    www.inlandjeepfreeks.com

For the front, find a dana 30 High pinion out of a XJ/ Cherokee, you can find those for somewhere between 75 to 150 Bucks for the housing or axle, you really just want the housing. For the rear find an 8,8 out of explorer with discbrakes. Those 2 axles are about the hot ticket for light but tough axles that are not expensive, give you fairly good ground clearance and work well with 35's and as a daily driver. Now if you want to spend money I know where tp get Rubicon front and rear axles, with Superior chromemoly shaft an ARB in the rear stock locker in the front and 4.88 gears will bolt right in your Jeep. Might be the better way to go no work and no nickle and diming to get all the parts and work done

Comment

On the HP D30, will that bolt right in to the TJ or would it need new mounts etc? I'd need a new front drive shaft changing to a HP or no?
      www.inlandjeepfreeks.com

Comment

Art has probably gone to work. But it is a direct bolt in an no driveline mod.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

The search begins, Thanks.
          www.inlandjeepfreeks.com

Comment

Bolts right in! I just did it but I upgraded with superior axles ,spartan locker,ruff stuff diff cover,currie upper control arm johnnyjoints,lca skids and did some reinforcing. I also put all new parts like a carrier and new unit bearings so it cost me a little more than usual. Biggest expense is gears and getting them set up. Heres mine
            Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-16-10, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Ahh, cool. Can I have it? LOL

Looks good. I've heard lots of good things about superior axles.
              www.inlandjeepfreeks.com

Comment

Looks spiffy! Is trussing the short side un-neccesary?
                An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Beau,

Nice paint wagon! Looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                    Looks spiffy! Is trussing the short side un-neccesary?
                    Beats me but there isn't much room. Besides the long side obviously has more stress and leverage because of the longer tube. If you look closely the housing has mini trusses cast into it as well.

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                    Beau,

Nice paint wagon! Looking good.
                    LOL Thats my junk yard wagon. Carries my tools when searching for parts at the local pick apart.

Comment

I think the reason some build a truss that welds to both tubes is because they don't want to weld to the cener housing. Welding to the center housing takes a little skill.
                      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Another quick question:
                        Does it matter what year the HP D30 comes out of?

Would a mid 80s bolt right on to my TJ?
                        www.inlandjeepfreeks.com

Comment

It will bolt up, but would be the less desirable vacuum disco housing
                          An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Lots of mid 90's d30 high pinion at the local pick a parts.

Comment

Working...
                            X