Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a Dana44, deal?

Went to this jeep salvage and found a dana 44 out of another same year jeep with the same gearing as mine with a limited slip in it. They want $500 for it. Is that a good deal? Is the ford stronger? I'm looking to a locker and 33's or 35's in my future.
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Get it.

The Ford is still a c-clip axle if memory serves.

Dana 44 should be fine up to 35's though some Rubi owners are upgrading to Superiors 44's but this has more to do with the fronts as they have had problems busting them locked and turned.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
      Get it.

The Ford is still a c-clip axle if memory serves.
      Yeah it's a c-clip, but it's alot stronger the the D35 c-clip. Have you ever heard or seen a 8.8 c-clip break? I haven't and i know plenty of guys who run them, one of them is on 40's with an 8.8 and hasn't had any problems.

I wouldn't call $500 a deal. For $350 you can get a complete Ford 8.8 end to end.

The 8.8 also has the advantage of disc brakes if you get one out of an explorer from 97+.

Just something to think about before you make the purchase on the D44.
      [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
      AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
      15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
      33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
      FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
      Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
      RE Hand Throttle
      Optima Red Top
      K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

$450-500 is about the going rate for a D44, but that is without the limited slip. Sounds like you found what you could call a good deal.

One of the members of our club on the east coast regularly sells them for $450 without the limited slip.

Erik

Comment

D44 = 30 spline, drum brakes
          F8.8 = 31 spline, disc brakes, C-clip

Will you keep the limited slip? I dont like c-clips, but a F8.8 sounds like a better deal, Especially for YJ's.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I haven't seen an 8.8 break myself, but there have been reports on a certain BBS with a black background

Admittedly, the problem here wasn't the axle itself or the issue of the c-clip but rather the housing. The axle tube spun around in the differential. Reinforce those welds.

If you do get the 8.8, I believe the Ford Ranger FX4's already come spring-over'd. The Missus and I considered the 8.8, but she didn't want any "damn Ford" parts in her XJ and got a good deal on a built-up D44 (new MJ housing, Superior axles, new brakes, 4.56, ARB, RE anti-wrap perches).

Photos please of whatever rear-end you get!
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
              D44 = 30 spline, drum brakes
              F8.8 = 31 spline, disc brakes, C-clip

Will you keep the limited slip?
              The reason for my inquiry is that I'd like to lock the rear and presently I have a stock D35. Also what I like about the axle I found is that it's already set up for a Jeep.
              “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
              -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning

If you do get the 8.8, I believe the Ford Ranger FX4's already come spring-over'd.
                They might come spring-over'd, but i'm pretty sure that 8.8 isn't 31 spline. IIRC only the 8.8's out of Ford Explorers are 31 spline.

The Explorer 8.8 is a direct bolt on as well (SUA). Only thing needed is plumbing for the rear disc's and e-brake. MORE and a few other companies make a conversion kit for the 8.8 into Jeeps.
                [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                RE Hand Throttle
                Optima Red Top
                K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

i did the 8.8 and would do it again, and again. stronger than the 44, and has disc brakes.
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Could be a little high, but consider it would be a direct swap, money and time will be saved from having to do any modifications. Plus, you could upgrade later to a locker of your choice.

Good Luck
                    JC
                    '78 CJ-7, 304, Scout Dana 44s w/ a Detroit in the rear, T-150 w/ Dana 20, 4" Skyjacker susp and 2" body lift, 33" MT/Rs, Warn XD8000i, and others.

'97 XJ, 4.0L, Dana 30 w/ Truetrac, Chrysler 8.25 w

Comment

Working...
                    X