Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb for the 258 Inline 6

I know I may not me posting this in the right area, and I'm sure the question has been asked before.......but I spent the last 20 mins trying to find the same type of question but couldn't find it so I thought it would probaly be just as fast to ask the question here.
    I have the 258 Inlinge six with the 2bbl carter bbd......It floods out at a 10% grade ( highways etc.) I'm thinking of going to a new carb. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    Dave

Rebuild it to get you by, then make plans to junk it for something else... CA is tough, there are not many options. It could be a number of things that are wrong - worn carb housing around the throttle shaft, improper float adjustment (set it just a tad lower than spec and it will flood less on steep stuff)... If I weren't building a fuel injected engine I would have gone with Howell's fuel injection. It's TBI, uses actual inputs from the O2 sensor (closed loop), and overall makes it more driveable in any situation. I think that Tazdevil (brian) on this forum has this setup. I think it's the way to go for the money if you are looking at replacing the Carter.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

thanks for the feedback rick, The carb has been rebuilt, and I have had two shops work on it and it's either the same or worse. From what I hear is the the MC200 is a much better carb. But it's seems I’m trying to climb a wall when I go to the local auto parts store and tell them I'm wanting to swap out my Carter BBD for a new Mortorcraft 2100 (1.08.) I told them that I heard the sources of this carb is from the "AMC 304". Ok now the problem, they can't seem to tell me if I would be getting the 1.08. (what I heard I need) so I don't want to get the wrong one. I also found I need an adapter plate, they can't tell me which one I need. Along with the above I still need an air cleaner assembly, throttle arm replacement (fabricated). I found all this info from the web, and parts of this forum, this will be my first try at a carb upgrade, so I need all the help I can get.
      Dave
      PS: I have the 258 I6 with the 2 barrel Carter BBD now.

Comment

Ahhh, you have a 74 so you have the luxury of swapping the carb without the smog nazis hunting you down... The MC2100 is a good carb. You can get one off a 304 or many years of the Ford 302s (pre 1979???). Not sure on the years, but I know the 70s Broncos have the MC2100. Let me know if you have any problem finding one, I have a buddy with a Bronco that just swapped in a 351 so he has one sitting on his old 302. Start calling junkyards and buy a rebuild kit...
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I'll start checking out the wrecking yards......if I come up empty handed I may want to talk to you about your buddies carb.

thanks,
          Dave

Comment

I'm having a problem finding a used mc2100 1.08 carb. I found a couple on ebay but niether one has the PCV inlet on the rear of the carb, so I won't be bidding on either one. Rick tell me more about your buddies carb
            Dave

Comment

On the Fords I've had there is a plate sandwiched between the carb and intake with a vacuum fitting.
              "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Working...
              X