Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYE install

Many of you are aware of my mechanical ineptitude. No laughing.

I won a CV driveshaft on a different forum. I'm ordering the driveshaft and an AA SYE( I got a freakin' incredible deal on the sye) this week. Now I have to install it. I'm gonna try to do this one with minimal help. So's I need help.

I actually plan on following the directions, but I was wondering if anyone on here had any advice? Tips? I also heard now is a good time to replace that pesky speedo gear thats 15% low/off, is that true? Any info would be awesome. Thanks.
    I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
    1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Im sure Chris can help you. Give him a call.

Rock-It Man Fabrication: 909-551-6181
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I would but he never returns phone calls. J/K Naw, I was thinking about askin' him, but I don't have the kit, yet, so I was gonna wait on the off chance I'll see him in person before I put it in.
      I'm a Daddy!!

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
      1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Re: SYE install

Originally posted by mikeythefireman
        Many of you are aware of my mechanical ineptitude. No laughing.

I won a CV driveshaft on a different forum. I'm ordering the driveshaft and an AA SYE( I got a freakin' incredible deal on the sye) this week. Now I have to install it. I'm gonna try to do this one with minimal help. So's I need help.

I actually plan on following the directions, but I was wondering if anyone on here had any advice? Tips? I also heard now is a good time to replace that pesky speedo gear thats 15% low/off, is that true? Any info would be awesome. Thanks.
        Yeah you might as well do the speedo while you are doing the SYE, you have to remove it anyhow so it would be a good time to install the correct one. It's a cheap part think i got mine for under $20.

The instructions from AA are good, just read through them and make sure you have everything they recommend. I got a highlighter and marked all tools, lubricants....etc. that were required through the job then checked to make sure i had everything before i started.

As far as tips, these are the only areas that required special attention when i did my SYE:

output shaft disassembly- you'll need heavy duty snap-ring pliers to remove the mode hub retaining ring. Buy, or borrow a pair if you don't have a pair doing this step without them will make you cry. (this i know).

If you have a YJ you will also need to remove the caged needle bearing on the output shaft. Most can get them off with a big socket and hammer i wasn't so lucky i actually had to bring mine into work and use a bearing press to get them off. If you have a TJ (1997+) disregard this step it only applies to YJ's. Looks like you have an XJ i have no idea what your set-up is like.

Takes a bit of time to do. I'd recommend pulling out the whole TC. I've read that this job can be done with it installed though. I pulled mine because i wanted to give my TC a good once over and cleaning while i had it apart.

Congrats on the free driveshaft you won!
        Last edited by PondScum; 04-09-04, 11:56 PM.
        [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
        AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
        15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
        33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
        FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
        Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
        RE Hand Throttle
        Optima Red Top
        K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

I did an AA SYE and did a little write-up . Check it out.
          CLICK
          “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
          -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Good write up!! Thanks guys.

Pondscum, it's a TJ, it's an X model.
            I'm a Daddy!!

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
            1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Working...