Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32RH 3 speed transmission troubles.....

HELP?!

Ok, as seen here> http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17216 there has been a discussion about the 32RH trans found in many years of Wranglers and the possible differences of those different years.

My 16 yr old sons 1999 TJ has a 32RH trans and it has a hard set CEL w/ code P0743, Torque converter clutch solenoid problem. This CEL will not reset and since it is a CEL, this is enough to fail the Jeep for smog. The CEL has been on for several months with the trans seeming to work fine until recently where it now shifts funky on both the up and down shifts.

We bought a 32RH that had been swapped into a 94 Wrangler 5 spd YJ and while it seems many think the transmissions are the same, And I Hoped that it would be true, but I just pulled the pan today to find that the trans in the 99 TJ has a 2 wire TCC solenoid and the TCC solenoid in the trans we bought is a single wire w/ different plug configuration.

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap the connector that plugs into the trans from the 99 to the earlier model and have it work?? If I had the TJ trans out, I could probably figure it out but I am hoping that someone will know?

pics to follow of the differences I have discovered so far. I'm hoping I can make this work but also hoping to supply info for anyone in the future that is going through the same trouble.

Thanks for any info! John

32RH TCC Solenoid internal Connector on Older trans (had been swapped into a 5spd 94 YJ)

External connection of same trans, showing the internal connection plug of the later model connector.

Then it gets weirder......
    The plug connector shown in above pic is the end of a Standard part number TCS50 which, according to Rock Auto, is the same TCC solenoid assy. for all years 94-2002. Shown below is a composite pic of the TCS50 which is what is in the 1999 TJ I am working on.
    Last edited by JJsKJ; 04-23-10, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I am going to guess that I can pull the connector that inserts into the trans, the one that connects the internal connection to the outer connector, and use the one out of my 99 trans Along w/ the newer style, TCS50 solenoid.

Has anyone else dealt w/ these connections when swapping older 32RH transmissions into newer TJ's? How about custom wiring of them for a swap? I am so confused......

Comment

I assume it's an open and close loop sensor. So, I would think your fine with the swap.

Comment

As long as the solenoid opens and closes, the ecm would never know the difference. Look at it as a valve that ones and closes, your easiest fix is to find the correct pig tail for the outside of the trans less work, less money

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            As long as the solenoid opens and closes, the ecm would never know the difference. Look at it as a valve that ones and closes, your easiest fix is to find the correct pig tail for the outside of the trans less work, less money
            The problem w/ that is I don't think the computer is going to see that the solenoid is working and set the CEL code.

I looked it over some more and right now I'm pretty sure that the connection that threads into the case, the one that the TCC solenoid connects to on the Inside and that the harness attaches to on the outside, is going to interchange and then it will work as the computer expects. I'll know for sure once I pull the trans out or someone that has experienced this chimes in.

Comment

Solenoid

That's what my Guy at Poway Transmissions suggested,an external solenoid spliced into the harness takes care of the computer and the converter still locks up mechanically.
              Last edited by TDS SD; 04-23-10, 07:33 PM.

Comment

take it to aamco. they do a cel test for free.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                  take it to aamco. they do a cel test for free.
                  I have a code scanner so I already know what code it is setting. P0743 is the Torque converter clutch solenoid code. I've already changed out the solenoid and it is still setting the code. Thanks for the suggestion though. FTR, Autozone will also pull your codes for you too but it is tough to get them out there unless you go when they aren't too busy.

Comment

I thought about this some more, and if the solenoid in the older year trans has one wire and the newer trans had a 2 wire solenoid, you can still make it work, just add a relay in the circuit. As long as both solenoids are both either normally open or normally closed yopu are good to go. All the newer ECM controlled solenoids are switched by the ground circuit, in other words 12v from ignition is supplied with the key on and the ecm completes the ground circuit. The older trans probably just used a relay to supply 12v to it when needed aqnd it grounded itself internally. So use a relay let the ecm complete the ground circuit of the relay and have the relay send 12 volts to the single wire solenoid and you and the transmission are both happy. Will cost you about 5 bucks or so for a relay

Comment

You can just try swapping the Solenoids between the two, instead of trying to make the old one work.
                      We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

Working...
                      X