Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing

im using a dolly to tow my cherokee and was wondering what i should do to the driveshaft. Put the T-case in neutral? or take out the rear driveshaft?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

somebody....anybody!?!................
    B R E T T

Comment

I copied and pasted this from another site.

"After hooking up to the towing vehicle, put the Jeep transfer case in neutral. But leave the transmission in gear (or in Park for automatics). That way, the transmission won't be turning while you are towing. Also, you won't have to remember to put the transmission back into gear before you unhook (see below).

Unlock the Jeep steering column (which requires leaving the key in the ignition while traveling). This is very important! The towed vehicle's steering wheel must be free to turn when the towing vehicle turns! (I learned this from experience--almost pulled the tires off of the rims, on both the Jeep and the van when pulling out of my driveway!).

hile traveling, remember to make wider turns and to allow for extra stopping distance.

Towing under adverse weather conditions (especially snow and ice) is extremely dangerous (I learned this the hard way also!). Better to disconnect and drive both vehicles separately, if you're traveling with someone else.

Don't try to back up (according to the operating instructions that came with the tow bar). It will damage the tow bar, and possibly your Jeep. Luckily, I didn't learn this one the hard way (yet).

Before you unhook from the towing vehicle, make sure the Jeep transfer case and the transmission are both in gear, especially if you are on even a slight incline. (I learned this one from experience, too. Luckily there were others there to "catch" my Jeep before it got away from us!)."

Its doesnt say anything about taking the drive shaft out. I would inagine it would be ok.

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Thanks Chris. Im towing my jeep down to my uncles shop Sunday morning and he is gonna fix it up into tip top shape(hopefully). So as soon as its fixed ill start with all the fun stuff. Thanks for the info.
        B R E T T

Comment

Don't pull your driveshaft, unless you have a slip yoke eliminator. You will leave a trail of Dot 3 fluid behind you.

As for leaving the steering wheel unlocked, this is important if you are flat towing. IIRC, it doesn't matter when using a dolly. The dolly will turn on the tongue of the tow vehicle, and the rear wheels will track with the tires of the dolly. Also, I don't remember for the cherokees, but if you leave the wheel unlocked, doesn't that also move the key to the on position, so this will leave all of your electricals on, and will also provide power to the coil, and that is not good for it.

Leaving the transmission in gear is ok, as long as you put the transfer case in neutral.

Hope some of this helps, and makes sense.

Erik

Comment

thanks. and yes it makes sense. AS for the steering wheel, i have a major electrical problem so i cant tell when crap is on or off (flashers work turn signals dont, no horn, no guage lights, no back up lights, brake lights work and even with the key out something is draining power) so i normally disconnect the battery everynight after i fiddle around with everything during the day. Thanks for the tips
            B R E T T

Comment

Working...
            X