Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44's and a241 in a TJ

out of curiosity,what does it take to get the Rubi drive train into a regular TJ? It looks like it may be a more cost efficient option than upgrading what I got.
    Last edited by sickandtwisted; 04-01-10, 12:48 PM.

I have been looking at the NV241 swap for my YJ. Here is a writup from a TJ swap. The axels I think are a bolt in if you want to buy them off a rubi. They are few and far between though. There are more common sources for D44s but they will require some fabrication.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Probably about $3000-$4000. Thats is if you use your tranny.

Comment

Complete bolt in, driveshafts will need extended or shortened. Many have done it, including me. Moneywise, anywhere from 2-4,000 for a set of axles and pumps not including the nv241 case, I have seen them go for 1-2000.

Comment

so aside from the financial aspect it's a easy swap? is there any extra likages or adapters or anything for the t-case?

Comment

Your biggest challenge will be to calibrate the speedo and modify the trans mount to get it all to fit. Then to mount and wire the locker compressors and switches.
            All in all its a fairly easy mod

Comment

I wonder if Hertz has any Rubis?
              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

t-case was not too bad, but takes some mechanical knowledge.

snag this thang up before its gone!
                http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/pts/1677538572.html
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

why do u have to change the axles? cant u just modify the driveshafts? u dopnt have to have lockers do u? u can add them at a later time right?

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                    why do u have to change the axles? cant u just modify the driveshafts? u dopnt have to have lockers do u? u can add them at a later time right?
                    Ok I read your post three times and its still not making sense. The OP is asking about swapping rubi running gear in and you are asking why?

Yes with most axles you can add a luchbox locker later. But If you can get a set of axles geared alike with lockers then that would be the best route. If you are going with a full case locker, and decide to add it later, you will be paying to set up the gears again.

Plus with the proposed swap you get a better transfer case, and D44HP Front and rear.
                    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post

You do not have to change the axles if you are using the Rubi tcase. But you can and it’s a decent idea if you can find the parts. I don't know where this rates on the bang for the buck scale but it is certainly stronger than your stock stuff.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                        Plus with the proposed swap you get a better transfer case, and D44HP Front and rear.
                        I dont think 2002-2006 rubis came with high pinion axles.

Comment

For high pinion axles you need to look for old stuff
                          Rubicon axles are basically lighter axles with a Dana 44 low pinion axle housing. Their biggest sale pitch is factory lockers and the ability to run 5.13 or 5.38 gears in them

Comment

The new JK's are all high pinion I believe.

Comment

isn't the track width wider on the JK?

Comment

Working...
                              X