Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alrighty, got the transfer case installed and also got a new front driveshaft and u-joints. Runs well now except I have to connect a few more lines. Speedometer doesnt work and its stuck in part time 4wd

Comment

After viewing this thread it got me thinking to check my fluid level and a question as always with me..lol..what fluid does the trasfer case take I have a 97 TJ with the 231..Thanks in advance.Geeb
      "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

ATF and the good stuff.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I used ATF +4. One last question, what is a quick n easy way to reconnect the 4 we lever pulley system next to the tranny and t case?

Comment

loosen the trunnion nut on the shift linkage
            shift the case into 4low by hand
            move the shift lever to the 4 low position, using a 1/8th inch shim between the shift gate and shift lever. Bungee, or have a helper hold it for you.
            Tighten the trunnion nut.
            Shift through all ranges, your 231 should shift like a dream now.
            An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

After viewing this thread it got me thinking to check my fluid level and a question as always with me..lol..what fluid does the trasfer case take I have a 97 TJ with the 231..Thanks in advance.Geeb

ive been told to run 30 weight oil in them. atf isnt a lubricant its a hydralic type fluid. and since there is gears and chains inside they t case oil is a better choice. imo. others will argue this because the dealer specs say atf but just my opinion. i have seen others grenade t case with atf never heard of one grenade on 30 wt.

Comment

ATF, like hyraulic oil is a 10wt oil. However ATF has a butt load of detergents and other goodies in it. I would not reccoment running 30wt in there. If you have ever had your t-case apart, you would see how tiny that little plastic pump is. Dont wanna be putting any more stress on it than neccesary.

OP: the speedo gear had four different indexing options depending on the tooth count of the speedo sensor pinion. If yours isnt working at all its likely its indexed wrong. Pull the 13mm bolt holding the fork on. twist and pull the speedo sensor out. You will see numbers stamped on the housing. Align the numbers with the number of teeth on the speedo pinion. Should work after that.
                An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post

ive been told to run 30 weight oil in them. atf isnt a lubricant its a hydralic type fluid. and since there is gears and chains inside they t case oil is a better choice. imo. others will argue this because the dealer specs say atf but just my opinion. i have seen others grenade t case with atf never heard of one grenade on 30 wt.
                  All oils atf or otherwise are pretty much lubricants. Automatic tranny's have lots of gears in the planetaries just like a transfercase's planetaries. 30wt will probably work but I dont recomend it. Most likely the reason you never heard of a tc grenade on 30 wt because nobody does it, at least I have never heard of anyone doing it. If the dealer calls for atf then thats what you should use like said before the clearences on the pump were designed for a 10wt not a 30wt you might do some damage.

Comment

I havent heard of a 231 dying because of the atf not lubing enough. Usually its due to lack of atf, or water contamination.

Keep in mind though, using 4wd creates heat in the case, 4low even more so. Just like an Auto, heat will cause the fluid to break down over time. After two years of DD/wheeling duty the fluid was pretty black. I think two trips home on FWD and using 4low most of the time crawling ( gotta compensate for those 3.07's) really killed it. Nice fresh fluid in there now. Just puttin the word out for those that havent checked it lately.

Comment

Is it possible to put a lowering kit for the driveshaft as well as a cambered shaft?

Comment

huh? Do you mean a transfercase drop with a Double Cardan Driveshaft? Yes, you could, but why do you want your transfercase hanging down lower?

Comment

How is the most simplistic way to get your rig out of 4 wheel lock?

Comment

Huh? Move the shift lever all the way forward. If that is broken you can manually shift it on the case

Comment

Working...
                            X