Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion setup

If I'm going to replace my pinion bearings, can I just get the Timkens and replace them using the original shims and go for it? My reasoning is that when using setup bearings, you use the same brand but a different bearing. What's the difference with just replacing the old ones with no other changes?
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

The difference depends on how close the tolirance of the bearings is. I have found that setup bearings get you fairly close, but are not an exact science

Comment

Well, It's a '74 Scout 44 so I assume it has Timkens. Weren't they the OEM? I can't imagine that they'd be as far off as what I have in there right now. I'm thinking of replacing both pinion bearings and setting the preload and see what I get. I'm not toolikg to change the carrier or re-gear. I just want what I finally have in there to not tear itself apart. I'm also stuck in the spot of having limited time because this is the daily driver.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Change the bearingsm see what the preload is should be between 20 to 35inch lbs, then pull a pattern. Most likely it will be just fine. at the most you might have to add a preload shim

Comment

Working...
        X