Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSD to Detroit

Got an 88 YJ with a Dana 35 (I was told because of the year it has no c-clips). Has a limited slip in it ( because of it's age I was also in formed it may not be funtional) and my question is can I just slap a Detroit locker in there or because it's a LSD it's not that easy?
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Re: LSD to Detroit

Originally posted by paulhead
    Got an 88 YJ with a Dana 35 (I was told because of the year it has no c-clips). Has a limited slip in it ( because of it's age I was also in formed it may not be funtional) and my question is can I just slap a Detroit locker in there or because it's a LSD it's not that easy?
    A Detroit is a full case locker. Meaning that you will need to have the gears set up again. I have a Detroit in my 69 Charger and it works great, but I dont think I'd want one in my Jeep . . . especially if it has a D35. Its well known that if you break an axle with a Detroit, you stand a good chance of damaging the locker as well. If I were you, I'd look into a Ford 8.8 with an ARB. It will be a little bit more expensive, but in the long run it will be better.

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Yes... See here for what happens to an EZ after it goes through a broken axle(same thing applies to any type of mechanical locker).
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

for a yj, the 8.8 is the only way to go. if you have some intermediate skills with a wrench, you can get it in there in half a day. especially if you have a 4" or more suspension lift. in that case, you dont even have to move the spring perches. i have one, and have been very happy with it, and would do it again. i recently also, went to the arb locker from a powertrax no slip which i broke making a u turn on the street
        let me know if you need more info on the 8.8 install.
        really, by the time you pay for shipping on the 35, and rebuilding the piece of crap, you could have a 4x stronger 8.8 from a 2000 vehicle in your jeep, and be done with it.
        good luck in your decision
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by rick
          Yes... See here for what happens to an EZ after it goes through a broken axle(same thing applies to any type of mechanical locker).
          I have broken my YJ's D35 2 times with a Lock-Right locker in it and never did any damage at all to my locker....:confused:
          89' XJ, lifted, locked, exo caged.

Comment

Paul, what gears do you have in the Jeep?
            Still thinking about a Detroit in the D35?
            I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Nothing but happy with the rear detroits I've had (and have now). Of course, they've all been in Real axles

I'd either 8.8 it, or if you're (financially) stuck with the D35 for now, throw in a Lockrite.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                Paul, what gears do you have in the Jeep?
                Still thinking about a Detroit in the D35?
                Gears are 3:55. Financially stuck sounds right. I want to make the Rubi this year and woulde like to have a locker but I'm skeered to get stuck in a bad spot..........may just replace the LSD thats in there. What about a LSD in the front too? May as well get a good rear axle. Decisions.
                “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Paul, I'd stick a Lockrite in the front. Cheap (new they can be found in the $250 range - lots of them used out there), and it's an easy install.

I put one in my Dana 44 when I built it for the front of my YJ. Would I have rather had a full case Detroit or ARB - sure, but not at over 2X the cost.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY
                  You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Go with Lock-Rights. Have an open carrier installed into your D35 with no spider gears, then buy a lock-right locker and throw it in there yourself. Its really not worth investing $500 for a Detroit in a D35.

Go ahead and run the Rubicon, with a rear locker and 31's you will have no problems. Its not that hard of a trail unless you choose it to be by taking the "optinal" lines.
                    89' XJ, lifted, locked, exo caged.

Comment

IMHO, if your going to spend $250 or so on a rear locker, why not spend another extra $100-$150 and upgrade to a F8.8. You can find them with a Limited slip. and then you get disc brakes and larger axles. The Rubicon can be done unlocked. JeepGal wheeled her unlocked, D35 TJ all the way through that mess. Granted she has 33's, which is kinda a minimum unless you are locked. Good luck, Let us know what you do.
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Don't bother with the LSD... If you are planning to go to a locker eventually that is. Even rebuilding the stock one will still cost some $ (I think around $75 for the clutch set), assuming you do it yourself. That's a set of spare axles for the 35, which you definitely want if running the rubicon with a lock-rite. Make sure you buy a hardened shaft for the carrier, that is the other problem with the EZ-style lockers. You have to use an upgraded shaft or it may not last long. I would stay away from used lockers unless you are confident that you can tell if it looks ok or not. If you are going to have someone install the open carrier for you, make sure you look at the total cost - it may be more expensive than you think. If I were going to pay someone to do anything on an axle, I would pay them to do it on a good axle, not a 35. If you're going to pay to put something in an 8.8 or whatever later, you might as well only pay once. It costs the same to set up gears regardless of whether it is with a stock open carrier, lock-rite, detroit, or whatever. The only thing you will pay more for is an ARB because of the added complexity. If you are having someone do it, now is the time to change gears also... Can we add anything else to your list??? lol.

Have you checked the LSD to see if it's wasted? Jack the rear axle up so both tires are off the ground and spin a tire with it in neutral. If both tires spin together, it's got something left at least. If so, throw a lock-rite in the front and we'll see ya in July.
                        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Working...
                        X