Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case spreader needed.

Is there anyone reasonably close to Oceanside willing to lend or rent me their case spreader? I have tried all the tricks to get my Dana 30 carrier out. I've tried double crowbars on top and botom, double crowbars on the ring gear bolts. I wound a rag up in the gears, I wrapped a chain looped around the carrier and used a hammer (on the chain). My carrier is really in there. I am thinking if by some mirical I get this thing out, I will never get it back in without the spreader. None of the tool rental places even knew what it was. So I am at an impass.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

You don't need a case spreader. Put a crowbar edge on a ring gear bolt. put a hammer on the housing and lever the case out by hitting the end of the crowbar.

Alternatively, use a slide hammer and pull on the edge of the case. Works great. You won't break it.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I have two case spreaders, but neither one is likely to fit in there. Spreaders are really more useful for setting preload, not so much for removing carriers. Have you tried the rag method? IIRC that carrier is supposed to be set in there with .015 preload, which makes it snug, but not THAT snug.

Get a big crowbar and carefully hook it behind the carrier. You don't need two crowbars. One last thing: you did remember to pull the axles and unbolt the bearing caps, right?
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Axles are out. As are the brearing caps. I've tried the rag method. I guess I just need to pound on it some more.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

How big are the crowbars you're using?
          holes = cowbell

Comment

I have one 18inch bar and one 24inch bar. I'm really worried I will not be able to get it back in once it's out.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

If all else fails load the axle up and I'll pop it out for ya. As well as stick it back in, you are changing the front seals are ya?

Comment

Worst case, take out the front d/s, empty the carrier and put the unit bearings back on without the shafts. Wrap a strap through the carrier and tie it off with shackles to a solid object (tree, post, other bigger vehicle). Put the t-case in 4-low and try backing slowly away. Or use a winch with a snatch block to get the same result.
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

His biggest worry is to get the thing back in, since it is his daily transportation

Comment

I suggested 1/2 stick of dynamite, but he'd already gotten it out.

My impact hammer has worked well for getting carriers back in.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

I got it out. I used 4 feet of chain in a loop. I wrapped it around the carrier and hit the inside of the loop to pop it out. Thanks for all the suggestions. So not I have my Aussie installed in the carrier sitting on the bench. I buggered up the drivers side axle seal. I bought a spare so I am going to try not to screw that one up as I try to put the next one in. Any tricks for the axle seals?
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2006/dana30-seal-installer/

I used something like this. It was 1/2in all thread with two aluminum bearing/seal drivers. I bent the all thread and the seal went in crooked.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Please post your experience. I'm gearing up to play with my YJ 30. Thanks.
                          God forgives, rocks don't
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

How's this thing going, Scott?
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

I got it all back together on Sunday. Getting the carrier in wasn't nearly as hard as getting it out. Turns out I was using the wrong size axle seals. It went together really quickly with the right parts. I tested out the Aussie and its awesome. I’ve got a laundry list of other small things that I have been avoiding. Hopefully I’ll knock those out in the next week or two and be back on the trail. It will be a lot easier to work on the Jeep after work now that we’ve got this extra hour of daylight in the evening. It’s my favorite time of the year. I hate getting home from work when it is dark.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X