Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
    Advancing the cam timing only lowers the point in the RPM band where you hit peak torque. Retarding it helps on the top end. Advancing should help the taller geared crowd, while those runnin 5.38's on 26 inch tall tires would get benefits.
    The rear main seal is 2 piece on the 4.0. It's really easy. The hardest part was cleaning out the oil pan.
    since I am running stock gears (3.53/1) and 33's, would advancing help get the torque down in the lower rpm range?
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

I only have experience with advancing the Chevy small blocks. I'm not sure how much it would affect the 4.0. If you get the Cloyes set, try 4deg advance. The Cloyes set can be reset later if you don't like it. The 4.0 doesn't have to have the oil pan dropped to do this, just have some RTV handy.
      Does the Cherokee Crankshaft Position Sensor have one or two mounting holes on it? If it has two holes (one on either side of the sensor body) it can be slotted, then pull out the boot to gain about 4 degrees of timing advance. The 4.0 LOVES this. Best of all, it's free power.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Might have to try this. Any extra power at no expense is good power. Im starting on this tonight. I might have some questions after I get into this.
        Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

my 91 yj sounds like it has a timing chain knock. it sounds just like a rod knocking when it first gets started, and then the noise goes away until I get up to around 60mph. on the highway and then it starts knocking again. so can it be the timing chain that is making the knocking noise???

Comment

Working...
          X