Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?? about 85 cj7 4.2 w/ ax5 5 speed trans

dumb question about 85 cj7's....what transfer case is on a ax5 tranns out of a 85 cj7? Im looking at one for a swap out in my nissan patrol and I guess my question really is this, is the front drive shaft output of the t/c on the drivers side of tranny or passenger side and also, is the rear driveshaft out put from the center line of the t/c or off to the passenger side?
    Second part to my maddness, how reliable is the 4.2 out of a 85 cj7?
    I have a line on this combo for $500 and just trying to get some imput.
    Last edited by kirkandsylvia; 02-18-10, 07:31 AM.
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

1980-1986 were Dana 300's. They're a strong case with good aftermarket support.

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
      dumb question about 85 cj7's....what transfer case is on a ax5 tranns out of a 85 cj7? Im looking at one for a swap out in my nissan patrol and I guess my question really is this, is the front drive shaft output of the t/c on the drivers side of tranny or passenger side and also, is the rear driveshaft out put from the center line of the t/c or off to the passenger side?
      Second part to my maddness, how reliable is the 4.2 out of a 85 cj7?
      I have a line on this combo for $500 and just trying to get some imput.
      x2 what DoubleAA said.The front DL is a passenger drop and the rear is center.I have a 82'CJ5 and 84'CJ7 and the only thing I would dump on the 4.2 is the POS carb,other then that I like it.
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I guess that answers that question. Thank you very much. Not sure the rear drive shaft configuration on the Dana 300 will work for what I am trying to use it for. The stock Nissan t/c has the rear drive shaft off the passenger side as well which makes the drive shaft alittle longer than if it were off the center of a D300 and in the 69 nissan patrol, the rear driveshaft is short as it is being a short wheel base. Might have to look at a different set up for a swap out.
        Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

I am hoping to be selling my NP231 with SYE next month....
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

million dollar question...what trans will a np231 mount to that will bolt up to a chevy 4.3 v6?

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
              x2 what DoubleAA said.The front DL is a passenger drop and the rear is center.I have a 82'CJ5 and 84'CJ7 and the only thing I would dump on the 4.2 is the POS carb,other then that I like it.
              I dumped the Carter and I'm running Howell TBI. Night and Day running difference. Next step will be to install a 4.0 head, which bolts right up to 4.2 block (you have to fill some water jackets) It is suppose to give you 40 more HP because it'll breath that much better.

Comment

million dollar question...what trans will a np231 mount to that will bolt up to a chevy 4.3 v6?
                700r4 auto, t-5, th350, some th400,

Basically any tranny that would bolt up to a small block chevy will bolt up to the 4.3l.

for transfercase just watch for the trans output spline counts. the simplest bolt up would be a manual or auto from an s-10 and use a 27-spline input 231 t-case.

My suggestion would be to run a 700r4 or th350 with a dana 300 behind it.

the chevy style 231 case wont work with 4:1 kits.
                "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Originally posted by lakev2 View Post
                  My suggestion would be to run a 700r4 or th350 with a dana 300 behind it.
                  If the OP is going to register the vehicle then he will need to use a tranny that was available from the factory on the donor vehicle. I don’t believe a Turbo 350 was ever used on a 4.3L from the factory. If he's not registering it then I agree.
                  Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                    If the OP is going to register the vehicle then he will need to use a tranny that was available from the factory on the donor vehicle. I don’t believe a Turbo 350 was ever used on a 4.3L from the factory. If he's not registering it then I agree.

I don't know much about the rules, but my CJ was approved on the first pass with a 2004 Chevy motor and an 90's NV4500.

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post
                      I don't know much about the rules, but my CJ was approved on the first pass with a 2004 Chevy motor and an 90's NV4500.
                      [COLOR=black]Of course you passed. The NV4500 was available on GM trucks so I'm sure it was available from the factory on your donor vehicle. Which is determined by the VIN. The referee doesn't (at least in my case) look at the year of the tranny only the model. When I did the research for my swap I asked the referee if I could use a Turbo 350 and he said no. That’s why I have a 4L60E.[/COLOR]
                      Check out .

Comment

Maybe this can help.
                        http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm
                        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                          [COLOR=black]Of course you passed. The NV4500 was available on GM trucks so I'm sure it was available from the factory on your donor vehicle. Which is determined by the VIN. The referee doesn't (at least in my case) look at the year of the tranny only the model. When I did the research for my swap I asked the referee if I could use a Turbo 350 and he said no. That’s why I have a 4L60E.[/COLOR]
                          The original motor that I went through the referee with was out of a half ton Yukon, which never came with an NV4500. Maybe I just lucky and caught him on the right day.

Comment

Where have been? Since when have transmissions been scrutinized for SMOG?
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

wow...I walk away from the room for a min and all the answers I'd ever need come flying in. Thanks guys for the info. I am registering it, but its a 69...no need for a smog or ref. I can run what ever fits. The info you guys gave is going to shed some light what combo to use. Now...decisions...decisions:dunno:

Comment

Working...
                              X