Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Help!!! Snapped 231 tailshaft

My 231 tailshaft snapped today in traffic. It didn't drop the rear driveshaft, so I put in 4hi and finished the trip. Wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm due for smog tomorrow. Don't want to hassle with PNO. Anybody have a shaft pulled out during an SYE install? Or a good deal on a full case? Thanks.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

I don't have the parts you need. If you can do your smog next weekend I know where there are several at the Oceanside Ecology. I can give you a hand finding one and pulling it if you need. Saturday or Sunday is fine let me know. You may find a better option by then but if you don't send me a PM.

-Scott
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I think mine is still kicking around the shop from when I did my SYE. I will look.

Gotta find something else to keep handy to keep the homeless at bay though....

Maybe time to build the pinion gear mace we talked about earlier scott :beer:
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Is this a point in favor of an HD output shaft?
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Thanks

All I can say is thanks, guys. Luckily I had a bad round of troubleshooting by myself at sunset. The tailshaft is fine. I grenaded the guts of my 35!!!! Now I can finally put in my 44 with disc brakes! Wow, an offer to help look for parts, and a guy willing to tear up his garage to look for a way to help. Forget the Jeeps, YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

If you can wait until next Thurs I have no use for my DS as I am getting a SYE.

PM me if your interested. I will be out that way.

Ron

Comment

I think you misread his post, Ron. He broke his tail/output shaft, not his drive shaft.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

OPPS! I missed it. Good catch.

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                  I grenaded the guts of my 35!!!!
                  Even easier.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                    Originally posted by 6spdYJ
                    I grenaded the guts of my 35!!!!
                    Even easier.
                    Oops, good catch!

Glad to hear it was the D35. New Process actually rated the NP231 at 1950 ft-lbs torque (IIRC), like 500 ft-lbs higher than their 205 (for comparison of a big, beefy, geared tranny). What normally kills the 231s (besides being run dry ) are driveshafts that are too long, shock loads, or rock hits. Other than those things, they're apparently bulletproof.
                    Last edited by inVERt'D; 02-12-10, 07:51 PM.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                      Oops, good catch!

Glad to hear it was the D35. New Process actually rated the NP231 at 1950 ft-lbs torque (IIRC), like 500 ft-lbs higher than their 205 (for comparison of a big, beefy, geared tranny). What normally kills the 231s (besides being run dry ) are driveshafts that are too long, shock loads, or rock hits. Other than those things, they're apparently bulletproof.
                      <---laughing! Whoopsie!

Comment

Oh, hi Ron, didn't see you there! :homer:
                        holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                        X