Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with clutch/transmission Problem

OK,

Tonkadave and I were out rock climbing and I smoked my clutch, but could have some transmission (T-150) problems as well. Need some comments/ideas/suggestions based on the following facts.

1. After getting cleared on the cliff, my Jeep would not move and adjusted the clutch to the limit, I can barely get the Jeep moving in 1st and reverse. The tranmission just engages at full release of the clutch pedal.

2. Once it does move, I can shift to 2d with no problem. Does have a lot of RPMs probably due to the clutch issue.

3. Can shift to 3d, but after about 3 seconds, it violently pops out with a nasty grind.

So, I'm tracking the need for a new clutch, but could that cause my transmission to pop out of 3d? Could something be wrong with my transmission? If so, what?

It's a '78 with 304, T-150, and D20.

Thanks

JC
    '78 CJ-7, 304, Scout Dana 44s w/ a Detroit in the rear, T-150 w/ Dana 20, 4" Skyjacker susp and 2" body lift, 33" MT/Rs, Warn XD8000i, and others.

'97 XJ, 4.0L, Dana 30 w/ Truetrac, Chrysler 8.25 w

Re: Help with clutch/transmission Problem

Originally posted by jccj7
    So, I'm tracking the need for a new clutch, but could that cause my transmission to pop out of 3d? Could something be wrong with my transmission? If so, what?
    Hey JC,
    It might all be clutch related. Its possible that when you engauge the clutch its allowing you to put it into third, but not all the way. When you apply a load (give it gas) it pops out of gear. Did you try to shift it in 3rd and drive while holding it in gear? Hope that helped
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Thanks Duke! You have givin me hope that my tranny is still ok. Hopefully you are right! Won't know until I get the clutch replaced.

JC
      '78 CJ-7, 304, Scout Dana 44s w/ a Detroit in the rear, T-150 w/ Dana 20, 4" Skyjacker susp and 2" body lift, 33" MT/Rs, Warn XD8000i, and others.

'97 XJ, 4.0L, Dana 30 w/ Truetrac, Chrysler 8.25 w

Comment

a bad pilot bushing could cause the tranny to jump out of gear, as the main shaft wobbles. Check it quick. If this continues, it could be serious, and could grenade the tranny. Been there, didn't enjoy it.

Erik

Comment

Working...
        X