Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's Side Drop Dilemma

Ok, so I was walking down street minding my own business when three guys jumped me, put a bag over my head, and threw me into the back of a van. Next thing I know, I'm waking up and and realizing that I'm being rolled somewhere and I'm being rolled on wooden planks. This can't be good, I think, so as quietly as I can I start loading up my lungs full of air. This turned out to be a really good thing because next thing I know, I'm falling in cold water and sinking really fast. Now, it's all I can do to keep from panicking because my head is covered so I can't see and my wrists are tied behind my back. My feet are also tied, so I try dolphin kicking, but realize that I'm chained to something heavy. Whatever is on my wrists feels like a zip tie, so I pull myself down with my feet and, finding what they're chained so, I use it to break the zip tie. Tearing off the bag that's duck-taped to my head, and turn my attention to my feet. Now my lungs are already burning, the pressure is piercing my ears and head, and in desperation I pull myself down to the gravely bottom, grab the base of the chain, and push with all the might in my legs. As I begin to surge upwards, the sunlight reveals for the first time what had been anchoring me--a brand new Atlas II.

For a brief moment I stared in disbelief. I was Percival, and in my grasp was the Holy Grail. Suddenly, a new resolve washed over me. One thought and one thought only consumed my attention. I had to get that Atlas II installed in my Jeep by any means possible. By a superhuman effort, I found my way to the surface and then to the shore. All my limbs were achy rubber, my lungs burned and my heart felt like it was about to explode as I lurched out of the water, clutching my prize. I collapsed onto my knees, breathing like a fat cop who had just chased down a donut thief. I look down at the Atlas on the ground beside me, and...damnit!!! It's a passenger-side drop!

So that's how broke-a$$ me got my hands on an Atlas II, but it's the wrong configuration for my TJ. I can either 1) flip it and run shift cables (if it would clock right), 2) change my front Dana 30 LP axle to a passenger-side diff, 3) reconfigure the Atlas, or 4) trade or sell it for another. This is a brand-new transfer case, never even had oil in it (and miraculously, never any water either).

I have a lot more time than money, so I'd even consider sleeving my D30 axles and swapping long side for short side (although that seems like a lot more trouble than they're worth). I know chevy and some older Jeeps have passenger-side diffs. I'm just trying to balance the cheap with the worth it factor. Any insights or recommendations for making the most of this for the money and work? What's your opinion?
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 01-18-10, 11:00 PM. Reason: typo
    holes = cowbell

I am pretty sure you can get a new case for it for about 400 bucks and install the guts with the right configuration.
    I may be wrong about them all fitting in there being mirrored, but think it can be done. Call AA and confirm.

Outside of that... I like your story. It was riveting, and I'm ready for more.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

My answer is: Sell / Trade.
      Technically you're no longer broke. You have either the cash or the bargaining power you need in the value of your brand new find. I would bet there’s someone out there in the reverse position you are in. I would post your needs on any free site or forum I could find like craigslist and other jeep forums.

Like this: Darn you're in that thread already. You're good! http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...php?p=10888602
      Last edited by Commandoman; 01-19-10, 01:57 PM.

Comment

After a bit of reading i would not suggest flippling the trans case.

definitely would not suggest swapping to a pass drop axle in a tj, just because of the inherent issues with control arms, driveshafts, and clearances. plus its not worth that amount of work, to keep a d30.

selling or trading would be my suggestion.

here is some reading on flipping the tcase.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=flip+atlas
        "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Dont get jumped, defend yourself at all costs, LOL..

Sorry to hear that I am sure things will work out for you in the end, sounds like you have something to bargain with.
          I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
            I am pretty sure you can get a new case for it for about 400 bucks and install the guts with the right configuration.
            I may be wrong about them all fitting in there being mirrored, but think it can be done. Call AA and confirm.

Outside of that... I like your story. It was riveting, and I'm ready for more.
            You're right, it can be done with a new case. I did call AA, and I think for about that much plus shipping back and forth I'd be good to go...that is definitely an option I'm seriously considering.

Glad you liked the story. I don't know about a sequel...I was hoping the install would be less eventful.

Originally posted by Commandoman
            My answer is: Sell / Trade.
            Technically you're no longer broke. You have either the cash or the bargaining power you need in the value of your brand new find. I would bet there’s someone out there in the reverse position you are in. I would post your needs on any free site or forum I could find like craigslist and other jeep forums.

Like this: Darn you're in that thread already. You're good! http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...php?p=10888602
            Great suggestion. As you found out, I did offer it in trade for a new driver's drop Atlas, but he needed driver's drop...just wanted higher gearing or something. I plan to post my own thread there in the next couple of days and see what comes up. I don't think I would have a problem selling it there. People are climbing all over these things.

Originally posted by lakev2
            After a bit of reading i would not suggest flippling the trans case.

definitely would not suggest swapping to a pass drop axle in a tj, just because of the inherent issues with control arms, driveshafts, and clearances. plus its not worth that amount of work, to keep a d30.

selling or trading would be my suggestion.

here is some reading on flipping the tcase.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=flip+atlas
            Great find, thanks! You know I was looking on Pirate for a post exactly like that one, but I must have gotten sidetracked, cuz I never did. I agree, flipping it is too much trouble and too much mod on a brand new Atlas. So that's one option eliminated.

Originally posted by platnumb4x
            Dont get jumped, defend yourself at all costs, LOL..

Sorry to hear that I am sure things will work out for you in the end, sounds like you have something to bargain with.
            Yeah, I'll be more careful what I say about O...um... people in high office. Besides, I'm thinking it was a case of mistaken identity... thought I heard them call me "rat purple" or something just before I hit the water.
            Last edited by inVERt'D; 01-20-10, 12:01 AM.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
              You're right, it can be done with a new case. I did call AA, and I think for about that much plus shipping back and forth I'd be good to go...that is definitely an option I'm seriously considering.

Glad you liked the story. I don't know about a sequel...I was hoping the install would be less eventful.
              Good, I'm glad to hear it.
              I recommend that if you do go this route, you specifically request one with the flat rotation.
              It will make it a lot more fun when you do the flat skid on your rig.
              ERIK

Comment

Will do--a flat skid is definitely something I could make use of.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

A passenger side drop should fit on my CJ7. I'd pay you up to $100.00 for a nice t-case like that. When can I come pick it up?
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    A passenger side drop should fit on my CJ7. I'd pay you up to $100.00 for a nice t-case like that. When can I come pick it up?
                    That's very generous of you, Roger, but it won't bolt up to your tranny. Actually I was hoping we could just trade front axles. I seem to remember that you have some spiffy alloy shafts in those? I could throw in a spare set of stock D30 shafts to sweeten the deal! Of course I do plan on selling my NP231 with SYE, which you will need with your new driver's side axle. It should bolt right up to your transmission.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

Well, I tried selling the Atlas for $2,200 on Pirate. Sure I could have done it, but with the plethora of Atlases that happened to be for sale around the beginning of the year, it was going to take awhile. Had a few people PM me that claimed to be very serious. One guy wanted me to wait until the beginning of March (checking my watch), but in the end, I sold it to Roger for $100. Just kidding! But Roger, you were definitely first on the under $200 list.

Actually I shot if up to Advance Adapters in Paso Robles, CA. Matthew at AA is the one who worked out the deal to reconfigure it for me. He did warn me that since they are a production shop not a repair shop, they would have to find time to tear mine down, swap cases, etc. I shipped it out to Advance Adapters on Feb 13th; they received it on the 16th. Cost $70 FedEx insured for $2,700. I also scored a $200 AA gift certificate on eBay for $108 total.

Well, Matthew called me this morning (Mar 2nd) and told me my Atlas was ready to go and would be shipped out today. Since it was brand new, they just traded parts where needed. Total cost for labor and shipping--$350 ($200 gift cert. + $150). I must say that Matthew was very personable and a pleasure to deal with. I'm very pleased with the service I got from him and Advance Adapters. Also, John and Tony were very helpful too. Very happy and grateful for the way they worked this thing out for me--thanks and thumbs up for great customer service!
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

I'm glad to hear that this worked out for you.
                        Erik
                        ERIK

Comment

Working...
                        X