Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 231 Tailshaft woes

Hi, I'm new here. I'm one of those people who doesn't have an SYE yet. So, for the time being I still have to run the slip yoke. I was having a lot of driveshaft vibration and seal leaking. I found out that there is a bushing that goes in the tailshaft that has severe effect on vibration if it wears out. Nobody seemed to carry it but Anaheim gear. I found it at Transtar P/N 44066. I got it and the seal for about $8 from their Cucamonga warehouse. Just thought someone as broke as me could use the info.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Have you thought about making a homebrew sye using Spicer Flange adapter (211229x)?
    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Then he'd have to pay $300 for a DS with SY, and have to modify it or buy a new one when he finally gets a shorter tailshaft. The whole length thing can be real sensitive for us SWB guys and we're always trying to compensate for it. :homer:
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Trying to save for the mega SS and new shaft, but silly little things like mortgage etc... keep getting in the way.
        -sons of thunder

Comment

Make sure the shaft is not bent coming out of the transfer case...it would be a good cause of seal leak.
          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
          (Charles Wells)

Comment

2blk2drs tell me more about this home brew sye. how is this made. how does it work? do u have to run a cv shaft with it?
            and 6spdyj im in the same boat. dont feel bad.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the parts, you got a 6spd tranny in that YJ? I'd be interested in that, my 5spd is leaking from a mystery spot and I am starting to look for the another option...

The fixed yoke kit and rear drive shaft were the first mods I ever did to the jeep and It sucks to put so much money into that first, because it sure doesn't do anything for the looks like rims & tires, or a lift... but they are must have items imho.
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

here is the go-jeep article:
                http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

You might also search on NAXJA, the best stop on the web for XJ specific tech
                An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Didn't see that coming... My basic format is good and affordable. I can make the seal housing and the seal is really cheap. I'll be calling around for yoke prices. Thanks to all.
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Just ordered these parts (again) for my new replacement tailshaft housing. P/N's 44066 (bushing) 44074 (seal) Total WITH tax $3.60
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                    X