• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t-case question

91 Cherokee Laredo is stuck in 4 wheel low, this my 1st
    jeep so I'm lost:geek:

Here's something I found on another website. Try at you're own risk

"Put the transmission in neutral, emergency brake off, foot off the brake pedal, now try shifting out of 4 wheel drive low. If that doesn't work, drive forward, and again do the above, trans. in neutral, roll to a stop, foot off brake, try to disengage. What you're probably experiencing is called drive shaft 'wind up', and it is very difficult to disengage, but do the above and it should shift out of 4 low."

Comment

Just get it moving then put the transmission in N and then shift it out. Don't have to be moving very fast (5-10mph). This is normal.

Comment

I have always had luck putting the jeep in reverse and rolling for two or three feet, then stop sharply. This usually takes the pressure off the drive shaft so you can pull it out of 4low. This method has helped me with some Chevys and Dodges too.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks guys, looking forward to learning more about the
          Jeep.

Comment

Welcome to MJR,As you can see there are always people ready to help you here with your Jeep.Where in Ore you from?I grew up in Winston down by Roseburg.
            Dennis and Tammy
            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Eastern Oregon in Richland 40 miles from Baker City:cactus:

Comment

As you are coasting along slowle <10 mph, shift into neutral, then hit the 4wd shifter forward, use a little more force than you would to pat one of your buddies on the back. It should then shift the xfer case into neutral hit it once more 4hi, once more and you are back in 2wd high, so wind it up crank the wheel and drop the clutch, you are now in command of your command-trac 231
                An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ftv37 View Post
                  Eastern Oregon in Richland 40 miles from Baker City:cactus:
                  Your way up North.Been to John Day a couple times and through Burns.Were you able to get your T-case out of 4Low?
                  Dennis and Tammy
                  Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Yup! Thanks everyone, Im sure I'll be back with more
                    Questions:wrench::wrench:

Comment

Working...
                    X