Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help guys

just picked up an aw4 married to a 231. i want to put in a tarlow 4:1 and a sye. also does the 4:1 mess with all the gears or just the low range? where can i get these at and what is the best sye to go with. re, jb conversion,rc,... etc. also can i put a wider chain kit with the taralow. figured i would do this before i put it in the rig. just for the hell of it do i have to go with cv driveline or can i still keep the stock one.
    Last edited by bails85; 01-03-10, 01:49 AM.

Why go through all that? It would be cheaper to get an NV241OR, require less work, and you'd have a better transfer case.
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 01-03-10, 02:07 AM.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Terralow only changes the low range and works like a charm.

Comment

inverted where do i get one of those. and what do they cost? 231 stuff is fairly cheap.

Comment

Sent you a pm...

A lot of guys run the Tera Low kit, and it's a great crawling improvement for the NP231J. There's also a kit for the Dana 300.

Yeah, NP231Js are practically a dime a dozen, but by the time you put in the parts and labor for bigger chains, SYE, and Tera Low, you're getting into money--especially if you're not doing the work yourself.

The NV241OR, on the other hand, can be got for $1,000-$1,500 pretty easily, and has 4:1 ratio, thick chains, and requires no SYE. Plus it has a much stronger case, and is just beefier and stronger in general. You'd have to replace the entire NP231 to make it as good as an NV241OR...and then you'd have an NV241OR. Unfortunately, the only production vehicles I know of that come with the NV241OR (not to be confused with other NV241 variants) are the 2003-present Rubicons. Where can you find them? Salvage yards, eBay, wherever else you're likely to find high-demand Jeep parts.

Since you have a LWB Jeep, another option that you might consider for your NP231 is the Box 4 Rocks, which xjkevin is incorporating into his XJ build. For about $500 you get this kit that turns a (basically) cut-in-half NP231 into a doubler--goes between your tranny and tranfer case. You put that baby in low range, and it will multiply your crawl ratio by 2.72. You could have 2.72 X 2.72 or 2.72 * 4, or whatever for your doubler X tranfer case gear reduction. Almost enough to give me LWB envy...almost.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Hmmm that box for rocks sounds interesting!

Comment

what do the 2.72x2.72 or 4.1 numbers mean? this is what im interested to learn. i know a little about axle gears like 3.07 3.73 4.10 and what tire size to run with but i know nothing about how they combine with the transfer cases and transmissions. i can weld and build shit all day long but the math is where the big picture comes into play. i read every part of kevins thread but only understood a 1/4 of it. like i said newbie but trying. and where can i find out about all of these upgrades at. i know to look online but everytime i get an idea i find out there is something better out there.

Comment

oh and one more thing where do i get this box for rocks or learn about it. maybe ill bug kevin on this

Comment

Working...
                X