Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer case ?

ok ive been on the hunt for a 231 for my xj. but recently ive heard of a terra low 4:1 for it and tougher chain and gears. my ? is are these upgrades u can do to the 231 or are these 231s that come this way. if these are upgrades then where can i find them and also where can i have them done at. if not where can i find one of these units at. thanks

I'm running a 300 but I'm happy with the products from JB Conversions. I'm currently installing their 32 spline front and rear outputs and a 4:1. Here is their 231 stuff.
    http://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=1
    Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
      ok ive been on the hunt for a 231 for my xj. but recently ive heard of a terra low 4:1 for it and tougher chain and gears. my ? is are these upgrades u can do to the 231 or are these 231s that come this way. if these are upgrades then where can i find them and also where can i have them done at. if not where can i find one of these units at. thanks
      To get a 231 with the 4:1 you would need to buy it from someone who has done the conversion. As for doing the conversion, it shouldnt be much harder than installing a SYE.
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Paulhead is selling an AX15 and a NP231 with the taralow 4:1 already installed. Its a steal expecially considering its already installed. You could do the swap in an afternoon.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

isnt the ax15 a manual trans. i have an aw4 auto trans so how do i go about the swap. also is paulhead another jeeper or a vendor.
          Last edited by bails85; 12-31-09, 12:43 AM.

Comment

hey dirtman thats some good stuff. thanks for that. but one other ? i have is what does a 300 come out of and is it for an auto or manual trans? also what does "flipped" and "twin sticked" mean? i hear this often but i dont know what these terms refer to. and also are there any upgrades besides a sye for a 242 t case. thats what i have in there now and i kinda like the full time 4 wheel drive but if i can beef it up thats what i would like to stay with but if not then i would like to find something a little beefier like a 231 or 300. i still need to learn a little more about what swaps are available and what would be my best bet before i go swapping stuff and blowing my money. i would rather do the research and then spend the cash rather then swap and then find out there is something better.

Comment

isnt the ax15 a manual trans. i have an aw4 auto trans so how do i go about the swap. also is paulhead another jeeper or a vendor.
              Paulhead is anoter Jeeper. Look in the for sale section on this site. I would not trade the aw4 for the ax-15. Thats just what paul is selling. Im not sure he will seperate the ax15 and the np231. But he is asking a fair price so you might buy both for them and sell the ax-15.

Here is his link. Just send him a pm about the 231
              http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16182
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

what does a 300 come out of and is it for an auto or manual trans? also what does "flipped" and "twin sticked" mean? i hear this often but i dont know what these terms refer to. and also are there any upgrades besides a sye for a 242 t case.
                The Dana 300 is the transfer casse that came in CJ's. Probably for manual and auto applications. These Jeeps run a passenger side drop, so to use it on a XJ/TJ/YJ you need to "flip" the transfer case, so that the ouput for the front axle is on the driver side. On your current transfer case, the 4x4 shifter controls three things: 4wd (chain engagement), planetary gear (low range), and the viscous coupler (part time vs. full time)

Instead of having only one option, many Jeepers convert the transfer case to be able to engage each function seperatly. One stick for output ( front, rear , both, or neither) And a second stick to control low range vs high range (thus giving you 2 low)

I cant speak much for the viscous coupler, as I run a 231. It is my belief, that if the road is so hazardous that one needs 4wd, then part time does the job fine, as I plan on traveling unde the 45 mph speed limit on the chain if things get that slick anyway.

Maybe someone who runs a 300 can chime in and point out any misinformation I may have posted, not just for the OP but also my personal knowledge.
                An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post

Instead of having only one option, many Jeepers convert the transfer case to be able to engage each function seperatly. One stick for output ( front, rear , both, or neither) And a second stick to control low range vs high range (thus giving you 2 low)
                  Actually each shaft controls each output. One controls the front output and one controls the rear output. This gives you the ability to shift only the rear or front in to low independently. There is two small pill shaped pins that prevent you from accidently putting the front in to low and the rear in to high (or vice versa) which would bind the case and possibly destroy it.

I’m flipping mine currently and it should be installed next weekend. I will post pics in my build thread.
                  Check out .

Comment

why would u want to shift each one independently. wouldnt that !!!! shit up if u accidently engaged one instead of the other. or shifted one into low and not the other one. doenst that cause wouldnt it be better to just shift front and rear together. what does the twin stick accomplish. and is the 231 or the 300 better. isnt the 231 a newer design? just ?ing for personal knowledge.

Comment

oh and one more ? does flipping change the direction of the gears? do u have to install reverse gears if u flip it.

Comment

why would u want to shift each one independently. wouldnt that !!!! shit up if u accidently engaged one instead of the other. or shifted one into low and not the other one. doenst that cause wouldnt it be better to just shift front and rear together. what does the twin stick accomplish. and is the 231 or the 300 better. isnt the 231 a newer design? just ?ing for personal knowledge.
                        [COLOR="Red"]There is two small pill shaped pins that prevent you from accidently putting the front in to low and the rear in to high (or vice versa) which would bind the case and possibly destroy it.[/COLOR]
                        Being able to shift each one gives you more options on the trail. Example being only putting the front in to 4low allows the front to dig which could help pull the front end around in a tight spot.
                        I have no experience with the 231 so I can not comment but the 300 is a very strong transfer case. Especially after a few upgrades.
                        oh and one more ? does flipping change the direction of the gears? do u have to install reverse gears if u flip it.
                        No. Uses the same gears.
                        Check out .

Comment

Working...
                        X