Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Looking for a Dana 30 Aussie Locker

I'm ready to buy Chromoly axle shafts and an Aussie for the front Dana 30 but I've heard that Aussie's are on back-order. I would prefer a new one but would consider...... If I wait too long I might convince myself to bank the money (which is the smart thing).

Mitch

Hi Mitch

I'm looking for the same for my Dana 30... do you know whitch is better the Aussie or lockright ? It's going to be a Christmas presant to myself.Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Curt

Comment

Look on E-Bay, they have them.
      06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Aussie Locker all the way. They are by far the best. Easy to install and tough as nails.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
          Look on E-Bay, they have them.
          Guys,
          if you buy them off Ebay, make sure you check a few things before you install them. Depending on how old they are and hard they were pushed, the line up pins may be worn and need to be replaced. Also the springs get weak and break. These are not big items, you can get them from Aussie, I may even have some left in my junk box. You'll also need the shim pack to set the clearances. Personally I'd buy them new, but if you just have to buy used, these are things to be aware of.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

If you place the Aussie next to a Lock-Rite, which I have they are both the same. The pins are same diameter, the springs are the same and if you measure the depth of the clutch teeth there is no difference. If you look at what the clearance requirement is for either you'll find it's the same 5/32. The guy who started Aussie worked for Lock-rite. I would go with either. I have installed both and both have performed the same.

Comment

ha mitch i have a set of dana 30 chromoly shafts comnplete (almost new) with u joints from my old tj , i paid over 600.00 from superior will let go for a MJR deal of $300.00

Comment

I like this Thread,, In my mind I,ve been wanting to get a front dana 30 locker ..but like all things..lol..I,m confused on which one to buy..so PLEASE keep us posted fella,s Thanks Geeb
                "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

The two are definitely very similar, but I can tell that there are differences between the Lock-Rite and the Aussie just from the pictures. Founder Bill Cole did work for Richmond Gear, and claims that both the material and design of the Aussie are better than the Lock-Rite.

I don't have any personal experience with the Lock-Rite, but the common wisdom regarding them was that they were solid off road lockers, but not recommended for a daily driver.

FWIW, my Jeep has Aussie Lockers installed front and rear, and so far they have been great both on road and off. I installed them both myself, and it was no big deal. I don't think a builder on a budget could do better.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                    Founder Bill Cole did work for Richmond Gear, and claims that both the material and design of the Aussie are better than the Lock-Rite.
                    I believe this 100%. I got a Lock-Rite for free from a friendly Jeeper. I never installed it because The windows that you use to put the spring and pin in are broken. I wont put this in my daily driver for fear a pin will free itself and eat up my new gears. I'm not complaining because it was free but I think maybe the Aussies are made a little better. I googled this problem and have read about a few other people having this problem with the lock-rites but haven't found any with the Aussies.

Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks guys....
                      There's a lot of good info here. I do drive mine a lot on the street... They say a Detroit locker is bad for a daily driver, but I have one of those too in the rear. I also have a 4X4Posilok unit on the front insted of the stock vacuum operated one... maybe that will help.

Comment

I have heard aussies are made of a better stronger steel.

Comment

Curt,

I haven't been on this for a bit. I bought a Aussie from Northridge 4x4. $249.00 and no shipping! Aussies seem to be back ordered everywhere but they got mine to me in a couple days. Good luck. Now I need to call Steve.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch , How long ago did you purchase your,s for that price? Seem,s like a good deal,is it? I,m needing one. Thanks my bro, Geeb
                            "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Geeb,

Just picked it up a week ago! Bought Chromolly axles today and I'll get those both installed in the next week or so.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                              X