Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrier size question

I have been doing a lot of research on gears and lockers lately, which brings me to a question as to wether or not the locker from a TJ dana 30 will fit into a YJ dana 30. Both have 27 spline axels, 4.10 gears. I am planning on swaping out the YJ axels with the TJ axels in order to eliminate the CAD. I have warn hubs and superior tube seals as well. I will be keeping the 4.10 ring gear matched up with the pinion that each is matched with. To elaborate on my confusion, I have read many a spec as to this will fit 3.73 carrier and down, or 3.54 and up. WTH dose this mean? If I am just not quite getting what the 3.73 carrier is refering to. I understand the ring gear size 3.73, 4.10, 4.88 ect. But what is refered to 3.73 carrier? Help!

You can swap your carrier from your tj to your yj with no problem, however you will have to setup your gears again. Dana 30 has a carrier break at 3.55 meaning 3.73, 4.10 etc have a different carrier then a 3.07 and 3.54 gear set. Since your locker worked with the 4.10 gears you are good to go.

Comment

Can't you just slide non-disconnect shafts into your yj axle and put a block off plate where the disconnect vacuum actuator was?
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Yes you can.
        Also when you swap the locker set it up with the gears out of the YJ since that is a high pinion axle, and the gears will not swap from a TJ to a yj. So in other words take the locker out of the TJ and swap the ring gear of the YJ axle on it then install it into the YJ axle and set it up with the same amount of backlash as it ran before in the YJ axle
        Last edited by aw12345; 11-20-09, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lostmyrocks View Post
          I have been doing a lot of research on gears and lockers lately, which brings me to a question as to wether or not the locker from a TJ dana 30 will fit into a YJ dana 30.
          Both have 27 spline axels, 4.10 gears. I am planning on swaping out the YJ axels with the TJ axels in order to eliminate the CAD. I have warn hubs and superior tube seals as well. I will be keeping the 4.10 ring gear matched up with the pinion that each is matched with. To elaborate on my confusion, I have read many a spec as to this will fit 3.73 carrier and down, or 3.54 and up. WTH dose this mean? If I am just not quite getting what the 3.73 carrier is refering to. I understand the ring gear size 3.73, 4.10, 4.88 ect. But what is refered to 3.73 carrier? Help!
          The easiest and most trouble free route of upgrading would be to pull only the tj axle shafts and install them in the yj axle.

The Carrier break as it is termed refers to a difference in the dimension of the carrier and determines wether certain gear ratios can be installed on the carrier. For the d30 the carrier break is at 3.73 ratio, meaning if you have d30 with 3.73 or numerically lower gears(3.54, 3.07, etc) then that carrier will not accept gears with numerically higher ratios. The same is true for the numerically higher carriers if you have 4.10 gears already installed you can only change to numerically higher gears(4.56, 4.88, etc).

Only full case lockers(detroit, arb, truetrac) follow carrier break use and application for gearing.

Lockers such as lockright, aussie, and spartan, do not replace the carrier, only the internals of a standard carrier. These lockers can be installed in your current yj4.10 axle without having to reset up the gears. You will have to remove the carrier to install because the ring gear wont allow the pin to be removed. But as long you change nothing else in the case(shims, bearings), you can reinstall the carrier with no adjustments needed.

Hope my lengthy reply answered your questions.
          "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I believe that I now understand. It looks like the plan for the d30 will work out. I will end up without the CAD, warn hubs, 4.10 (for now)gears, and a locker. Should make for a capable unit.

Comment

Working...
            X