Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYE and drive shaft?

How difficult is it to install a SYE?

Also how do I measure to find out what new drive shaft lenght I will need?

I know tom woods for the shaft, but whats a good SYE? For a 97TJ.

I've got an Advance Adapters SYE. If you look around a lot of vendors pair the AA sye with the Tom Woods shaft. I'm sure there are some vendors on here that sell them. When I bought mine they asked me about my Jeep and my lift, then had me measure. I think it shows what you need to measure on the Tom Woods site.
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

I Have a 97 tj also I bought the driveshaft sye combo from Tom Woods about a year ago the ds ofcourse was Tom Woods the sye was Advance Adapters right about 500.00 bucks for the combo I ordered it thru Mesa 4x4, was at my door in about 4 or 5 days as the DS was custom built so I was told..real happy with it though
      "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

What about install of SYE is it easy or tough?

Would you recommend a shop doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by smashcoast View Post
          What about install of SYE is it easy or tough?

Would you recommend a shop doing it?
          [COLOR="Sienna"]I did my own. Took about 4 hours, but I'm easily distracted and tend to lose tools mid-job. So take that time estimate with a grain of salt. AA has really good instructions (with lots of pictures for guys like me). I don't know what your comfort level is with wrenching on your own stuff, but I would say its a moderately easy install. Hope this helps.

oooh look...shiny...[/COLOR]
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I did my own. I'd never done anything that involved on a vehicle before, and I was slightly intimidated, but decided to give it a shot. AA has good instructions, and there are a few very good write-ups online as well. Buy a good set of snap-ring pliers.
            "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

The sye conversion is a fairly easy job to do, and the instructions provided are great.

If your looking to save money on the driveshaft, pull a front one from an xj in the jy or your buddies yard. Take it to a driveline shop and have them shorten/balance/check it out.

I used an XJ shaft and the shop i took it to, replaced all 3 joints, rebuilt the cv assembly, shortened, and balanced all for 220.
              "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Working...
              X