Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Ring & Pinions

Okay, I am about to spend some money on Betelgeuse, my '06 4cyl Wrangler, and wanted to get a feel on gear ratios.

Currently my daily driver rolls on 31s and has 3.73 gears. I am upgrading to 33s and, since I will still be using it as a daily driver, my question is:

Should I change the gearing to 4.10s or 4.56s?

My converns are one of gas mileage. Of course a little power won't hurt, but the top end will, of course, drop.

Thoughts?

31's to 33's is a small change. If you like the gear ratio you're at now, put the 33's and drive it. You'll turn about 150 RPM less on the freeway. If you change to 4.10's you be a little lower an will turn about 100 RPM higher on the Freeway.

Comment

Couple of questions...

What tranny do you have?

Do you ever plan on doing larger than 33" tires?

With the 4 banger, you'll want (no, need) to regain some of the oomph after the tire install.

The key is to only re-gear it once, so...

Comment

I have a 2.72 transfer case and a 6-speed transmission. I do not intend to get larger tires.

Comment

Mine is the same Jeep, 4.56 works well with 33: tires for your setup even with35's its not to bad

Comment

As stated, 4.56 will work well.

I'd go with 4.88 if you offroad much and/or ever even consider bigger tires. You'll notice a little more off the line pep with the 4.88's too. Long range highway MPG will probably be a bit worse than 4.56.

Comment

This would be a good time to drop in that locker!:doh

BTW if you are gonna wheel it alot and you have a stock transfer go 4.88 you have a 6speed you can compensate not having a 4:1.
              Plus your driving a flying brick who cares about MPG.
              Just wheel it!
              my:2:
              2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

Savi, he is right now is the time to throw in a E-locker, in the rear or do both for that matter, and you will be ready to rock. you will save allot on labor.
                Know anyone that has the same engine/tranny as you, and different gear ratio take it for a test drive.
                06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

My budget does not allow for a locker. I am trying to put up for a lift, gears, SY eliminator and a CV style drive shaft. The lockers lost out.

Comment

Betelgeuse goes in for surgery on Tuesday! Starting Friday is the 500 mile break-in period for the gears. Can't wait...

Comment

I have the 4:10 and 33" tires now. No issues on the freeway or offroad. Almost a factory setup. If your local, you can come by and check it out. I would assume on a 4:56 the 5th gear is required. Over all since it's your daily driver, I would go with the 4:10

Comment

In the end I opted for 4.56s and Betelgeuse is in the shop as I type. I expect to pick him up Tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning.

Comment

I think that you will be happy on the 4.56 gears with 33's. It is a nice combination between highway travel and rock crawling. You might find that a different radiator will eventually be needed to keep the daily driver cool.
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

Savi, post some pics of the Jeep, like to see,
                            06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                            07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Here is a sneak peek at the results:

Comment

Working...
                              X