Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by headhunter View Post
    Andrew,

I'm actually thinking of going with the Atlas 4 speed, because it will give me more usable low ranges for different activities. The low ranges I'm considering with that are 2.0:1, 2.72:1, and 5.44:1. They also offer 2.72:1, 3.8:1 and 10.3:1, but that seems silly if I'm not going to get larger than 35" tires.
    Go with the 10.34 to 1 four speed if you go with a 4-speed. I know the final crawl ratios seem rediculous, they are...but it does make difficult obstacles easier. WIth the other 4-speed you have too many options that are too similar to the others and do not provide you with much gain.

I have wheeled my 4-speed for 3+ years on 35's with 4.88s, and love it. I only recently switched to 37s.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
      Go with the 10.34 to 1 four speed if you go with a 4-speed. I know the final crawl ratios seem rediculous, they are...but it does make difficult obstacles easier. WIth the other 4-speed you have too many options that are too similar to the others and do not provide you with much gain.

I have wheeled my 4-speed for 3+ years on 35's with 4.88s, and love it. I only recently switched to 37s.

Just my 2 cents.
      Brian,

I appreciate the input. It hadn't occurred to me that such a low range would be useful with 35" tires, but you are a prime example of why I like to hear from those that are actually using this stuff.

What transmission are you using?

Where do you find yourself using the 10.3 range?

Do you actually use it in 1st gear?

Thanks.

Christian
      "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        Ron you have a 5 speed so it has an overdrive in 5th
        The 6 speed has less overdrive than all the 5 speeds
        Just smaller steps between the gears in other words one more gear between first and fifth.
        AX-15:
        3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79
        T-56:
        3.36, 2.07, 1.35, 1.00, .80, .62

sometimes the 6th gear is a deeper overdrive
        :beer:
        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

To the OP,

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

Is this a daily driver? What is you commute like?

Or is the XJ a play vehicle for the weekends?

What are your REALISTIC, future plans for the Jeep?

As for doing the work yourself, setting up gears takes a few specialized tools and lots o' patience.

Google "setting up a differential" to get an idea of what you are getting yourself into.

As others have said, consider upgrading the Dana 35 to a late model Chyrsler 8.25, Dana 44 or Ford 8.8. The Dana 35 is a problematic axle.

Comment

i have an at in my rig with a 242 transfercase. i paln on using it as a back up vehicle,and a toy however i do want to drive it to where i play. i dont want to trailer it. i just want it to be a an all around.

Comment

Working...
            X