Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trash-Lok Swapped for Aussie Locker

Well, I finally got 'er done! I swapped out my worn-out, stock, Dana 44 Trac-Lok for an open carrier with an Aussie Locker. It really wasn't that bad. In fact, if I'd had a garage and a couple of the Snap-On girls to hand me tools and beer, it could have been downright pleasant.

I didn't take many pictures--just wasn't in the mood, but if someone needs some, I'll see what I can do.

Two things I didn't have: a bearing splitter, and a press. I cut the old bearings off the open carrier with my Dremel. When it came time to put the new ones on, I used a 1/2" brass punch (thanks to whoever suggested that!) and an impact hammer; wasn't fast, but it worked fine. I worked in a radial pattern, like tightening lug nuts.

In my situation, setup bearings were indispensable, since once the "real" bearings were on, I couldn't remove them in one piece. As aw12345 suggested in another thread, I measured my Trac-Lok carrier to get me in the ballpark with the shims. I put a big sheet of 3/16" steel down on the dirt and put my magnetic base and dial indicator on that. Then, with the ring gear removed and the ring gear seating surface, pointed down, I zeroed the dial indicator on the seating surface. Then I put the open carrier in the same position with the (opposite ring gear side) bearing down on the sheet metal. I added shims until I got the open carrier to zero. Then I zeroed the dial indicator on the Trac-Lok's ring gear side bearing surface. I added shims to the corresponding bearing on the open carrier until I got what I wanted. I ended up going with about +.004" on either side (compared to the Trac-Lok), since my Trac-Lok carrier came out kinda easily.

I tested the mesh pattern and it looked ok, so I went with it. I can be kind of a perfectionist, but I'm working in the dirt and dust devils are as common as rabbits around here; I can see one somewhere in the valley at any given time during the day. In fact, I caught one on video a couple of days ago that was like a little tornado; made a loud sucking sound, had a dirt plume at least 1,000-2,000 feet high, and kept a kiddie wading pool several hundred feet in the air for a couple of minutes. From the sounds of it, I think it totaled a tin shed, too. I digress, but you get the idea--not the ideal environment to expose mechanical internals to. I could have driven myself crazy cleaning and re-cleaning stuff. So...it looked about right and felt about right, so I ran it.

One problem I had was when I attempted to install the Aussie Locker in the open carrier--it wouldn't go. I had to hog out the (opposite ring-gear) side of the opening to get it to fit. Let me tell you, it's better to figure this out before you get everything greasy, because you have to strip out the grease to get all the metal and abrasive dust out.

I used my homemade diff spreader to spread the case.

I did one test drive and everything's working well so far. No ring and pinion gear noise that I can discern (maybe I should check it when the stereo isn't blasting?? jk). The clicking as I coast through turns is louder than I remembered my front Aussie Locker ever being, but it's not bad. I expect that it will break in soon and quiet down. To this end, I DID NOT put Royal Purple in diff, since I think it kept my front Aussie from really breaking in (although it works great).

Hope this helps anyone considering swapping a limited slip for a lunchbox locker--it's not necessarily that much harder than starting with an open carrier.
    holes = cowbell

Dave you are one of the most resourceful people I know. Good job. Thanks to paulhead I have an open carrier in my 8.8 now and I'll have my lockrite in sooner or later.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Why, thank you, Scott--took me long enough to get around to it, and I'm thrilled it's done. Now I'm a fully qualified Aussie Locker fanboi! Hurry up and get that Lock-Rite in there!
      holes = cowbell

Comment

I need to get out to Anza again when things open back up. My jeeps a bit different from the last time we went wheeling. Well that’s not entirely true. It’s about the same but I have spent a $hit load of money on it so it must be cooler now.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

By "open back up," you must mean Coyote Canyon. Hey, if you want to head up this weekend that's cool too--I know plenty of other places to get into trouble around here. I won't be doing anything too crazy, since I don't want to burn up my clutch (still no 1st gear).
          holes = cowbell

Comment

This weekend is no good. We are celibrating my wifes birthday. When I get my lockright in I'll head up there to test it out.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Why is limited slip trash? Confused. I thought the Rubi came with limited slip and I see them go every where. Can you explain?

Comment

Rubis come with lockers not a LSD. the trac-lock is undesireable because they wear out quickly and don't work all that well(even for a LSD) when they are not broken. Also the way they work puts a lot of pressure on the carrier and have been know to break the carrier causing a catastrophic failure. Another good reason to not like them is you can't put a lunchbox locker (like an Aussie) in them.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

What he said. LSDs are good for some things and not so good for others. Also some LSDs are better than others. They're good for street rods; they can work well in the dirt or even sand and snow, but not in the rocks or any situation where one wheel may have little or no traction. I had considered running a geared limited slip in the rear and a locker in the front, since I think that combination can work really well--better IMHO than the more popular front LSD and rear locker combo. Thing is, most LSDs sold to the general public aren't as aggressive as I'd want.

An interesting exception would be the Auburn ECTED, which allows infinite modulation of lockup strength--from basically open to fully locked; but that uses clutches, and I don't like clutches in my axle.

My "Trash Lok" actually helped a lot in some circumstances, but the lockup was too weak (by the time I got the Jeep at least) to be relied upon, and it only got worse. When I really needed it, it wouldn't function. Sooner or later, all clutch/ friction-disc types wear out and this becomes more and more of an issue. People get frustrated with them.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                  X