Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do these axles look to you (pictures)?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do these axles look to you (pictures)?

I know this may sound stupid, but here are some pictures of a pair of axles I'm looking at buying. obviously one cannot make a very good judgment just on pictures, but could you comment on what condition you'd guess they are in, and if there is anything glaringly wrong here?

Pictures are of a Dana 30 and Dana 35, 4.56 gears and ARB lockers in both.

Comment

they look like axles,,,lol, id test the arb's,,, buy the front and find a 44 for the rear.......

Comment

One of the ARB's has had a problem ith either the ring gear or pinion see markings on the arb housing.
        The front axle has a bad u joint in one of the pics
        Other than that looks ok make sire the arbs work blow some shop air in the fitting to see if they lock

Comment

Originally posted by xjkevin View Post
          they look like axles,,,lol, id test the arb's,,, buy the front and find a 44 for the rear.......
          What he said......Unless you need a large paper weight, skip the D35.
          Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            One of the ARB's has had a problem ith either the ring gear or pinion see markings on the arb housing.
            The front axle has a bad u joint in one of the pics
            Other than that looks ok make sire the arbs work blow some shop air in the fitting to see if they lock
            I noticed the same thing on the ARB housing.... but I cannot tell if they're actual markings or just a reflection. I will ask.

Also in what picture can you tell there's a bad u-joint? how can you tell?

thanks
            sean

Comment

U-Joints are $10 or $15 forget. No big deal.

Where did you find the axles?

Comment

In the first PIC of the Ring Gear, from what I see, I don't think the contact pattern is correct. May want to take a closer look, or have a pro examine it.
                06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Those look good compared to mine. lol! My R&P have scratches, etc on them. Time for a Ford 8.8!

Comment

The one u joint has a lot of fine rust around one of the seals
                    Look and you'll see it. Is a dead give away for a dry u joint that is going out. I was not all that impressed with the pattern either but is hard to say could be a reflection.
                    It all depends on the price for those axles
                    You can always sell the rear ARB and use the money for a better axle

Comment

Yeah, that pattern is far from the best but it is a front-end.
                      Does look like the pinion gear has "kissed" the carrier. Do the marks go all the way around?
                      You MAY have some bearing issues with the front end(pinion)that you need to check out.
                      If I were looking to buy these I would do a tear down on that front axle. I would pass on the rear.
                      Respectfully,
                      LG
                      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                        Yeah, that pattern is far from the best but it is a front-end.
                        Does look like the pinion gear has "kissed" the carrier. Do the marks go all the way around?
                        You MAY have some bearing issues with the front end(pinion)that you need to check out.
                        If I were looking to buy these I would do a tear down on that front axle. I would pass on the rear.
                        Respectfully,
                        LG
                        I would have to agree with ^^^. It appears as though the pinion rubs on housing (not sure if that is possible except under load) or it has had a ring gear come apart at some point and time and has been replaced leaving the marks in the ARB housing. If the front axle is for a good price, a rebuild would still be worth buying it. Just my :2:
                        Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Not sure if its a bit late now but the picture of the rear axle is that a broken shaft lying in front of it, Im guessing so since I see no neck down and its a 35 with a locker.

Comment

Working...
                          X