Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different YJ Dana30 and Dana35 axle models for earlier years?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Different YJ Dana30 and Dana35 axle models for earlier years?

Hello all,

I've managed to find a 1987 wrangler YJ Dana30 axle with 4.56 gears (obviously aftermarket) and an ARB locker to replace my 1992 blown Dana30. The matching rear axle is a Dana35 with 4.56's and an ARB - also a 1987 axle. Other than gears and the locker, they are stock.

I have heard that the earlier YJ axles are not as desirable as the later-model ones? Can anyone explain exactly why and if I should be hesitant about buying 1987 axles as opposed to later-model YJ axles (other than potentially having more miles and wear on them)?

thanks in advance,
    Sean

[QUOTE=Sean S;141642]Hello all,

I've managed to find a 1987 wrangler YJ Dana30 axle with 4.56 gears (obviously aftermarket) and an ARB locker to replace my 1992 blown Dana30. The matching rear axle is a Dana35 with 4.56's and an ARB - also a 1987 axle. Other than gears and the locker, they are stock.

I have heard that the earlier YJ axles are not as desirable as the later-model ones? Can anyone explain exactly why and if I should be hesitant about buying 1987 axles as opposed to later-model YJ axles (other than potentially having more miles and wear on them)?

A) The Dana 30 is a good little axle and can be built into a fairly useful tool. But, because of its smaller size (than a Dana 44 or 60 or Ford 9") it can only take "X" amount of abuse.
    B) The Dana 35 is good for Jeeps that stay on the street. The Superior Axle "Super 35" kits simply delay the inevitable implosion of parts.

Save your money, do the research and buy your axles as your driving skills progress.
    Money pit!

Comment

i know all about the overall strength of the dana 30 and 35. I also know how much one can push them. My question is not a matter of how good the dana 30 and dana 35 are as overall axles, but why specifically older YJ axles are not as desirable as the newer ones. I have only been exposed to 1992 and newer dana30/35, so I want to know what (relatively minor) differences there are between the 87 and 92 YJ axles.

BTW, the buyer I am arranging with is selling his Dana30 and Dana35, both with 4.56 gears and both with ARB lockers, for around $1200. even though it's a dana35 in the rear I feel the deal is good enough, especially since I am in a pinch and need a front axle ASAP anyways. I can always sell the rear one off for around $400-500 when I go with a Dana44 or Ford8.8, but for now it will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean S View Post
        i know all about the overall strength of the dana 30 and 35. I also know how much one can push them. My question is not a matter of how good the dana 30 and dana 35 are as overall axles, but why specifically older YJ axles are not as desirable as the newer ones. I have only been exposed to 1992 and newer dana30/35, so I want to know what (relatively minor) differences there are between the 87 and 92 YJ axles.

BTW, the buyer I am arranging with is selling his Dana30 and Dana35, both with 4.56 gears and both with ARB lockers, for around $1200. even though it's a dana35 in the rear I feel the deal is good enough, especially since I am in a pinch and need a front axle ASAP anyways. I can always sell the rear one off for around $400-500 when I go with a Dana44 or Ford8.8, but for now it will do.
        The price sounds a little high to me. I have a number of someone who maybe able to do better! PM me.

Here is his break down I bet. $300 axles (both). $400 ring and pinion (both). $500 Locker. Which is an average price.

As for the axle years. I have a 1993 and I put 1989 axles in (last month). The 1989 axles had a stock 4:10 and the non "c" clip type which is better. The drums are a little bigger in the rear. Besides that, I think they are the same. Did I mention after I put them in, the front axle was bad! Cost me $600 to fix. Buyer beware.

As for the rear for $400-$500. I have personally seen a 4:56 and locker D35 for $280!
        Last edited by Jeep4cern; 08-18-09, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Sean,

You already know the weakness of the the D30/D35. I lot of people wheel that combo for years without a problem. I would be concerned with the 4.56 gearing. The pinion is so small that only a couple of teeth are in contact with the ring gear. And if I had a set of axles to install that were still out of the Jeep, I'd pull them apart, beef up the housings, weld the tubes, weld on a truss, and completely go through it while it is out of the Jeep. Price wise.....you are in the ball park, might find one a little cheaper but it also could be a POS.

Art (aw12345) did a nice truss job on his front axle. Good luck.

Mitch

Comment

4.56 gears or 4.88 gears work fine in a D30 especially the High pinion one. With later style arb's or Detroit or ox locker you fix the weak spider gears . Put some one piece TJ axle shafts in and the front will be fine for a 6 cylinder with 35;s
            The rear you are on your own there I would regear a 8.8
            Not expensive and a lot stronger

Comment

Working...
            X