Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana 30 grenaded, desperately looking for options/advice/parts now...

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Dana 30 grenaded, desperately looking for options/advice/parts now...

Hello all,

Since this is my first post here, maybe I should introduce myself quickly. I'm branching out from jeepforum and jeepsunlimited (username: got_4_lo) to the MJR forums because, well, there are more of you guys in Cali on here. I've been out of the jeeping community for a while but still DD'ing the YJ - until yesterday. The following is what sparked my comeback to the jeeping forums:

Vehicle and axle: '92 YJ, stock D30 w/ 4.10's , 2.5L, 35" tires.

Yesterday my (D30) front differential's gears destroyed themselves. I have not opened the case to inspect what's going on in there, but I will have to assume right now that the ring, pinion, bearings, and spider gears will need to be replaced. There is the potential the carrier is also toast (sounds like banging metal shards all over the inside). Regardless of what parts I decide to put in there, my main drivetrain guy will charge me $350 in labor to R&R the front diff, or $200 to R&R the entire axle if I bring a geared replacement.

I currently run 35" tires on a 2.5L. The stock gearing is 4.10 and I can't use 5th gear on the freeway, always stuck between 3rd and 4th to keep up at 65-70mph. I know this has been a problem for a while.

Assuming now that I will have to spend a good chunk of money to replace this, how would you proceed to ensure I get my money's worth on this repair? Options I have right now are:

1. Find a working D30 with 4.10 gears and do an axle R&R. I think I'll be looking at about $400-500 total for this.

2. Replace the gears in the D30 with 4.88's, bite the bullet and do the rear axle also. Looking at about $700 in labor and another $600 in parts for this.

3. Replace the gears with 4.10's and stick a locker in there (which one do you recommend?). if the carrier is toast do you recommend a full-on Detroit or just find a stock carrier and stick a smaller spider-gear-replacement locker in there.

4. upgrade the gears front and rear to 4.88's, stick a locker in the front as well.

5. Find a YJ D30 with 4.88's and preferably a locker, regear the rear to match or find a matching rear axle.

6. any other options you have.

I am more interested in getting the best value for this work instead of spending the least or most amount of money possible. I would rather save up some cash for a couple weeks if its necessary, but not if you don't think I will see enough benefit out of it.

How would you proceed with this situation, assuming you would like to keep costs down but being mindful if a little extra cash now would go a long ways?

Do any of you have a YJ D30 front axle with 4.10's, or any parts that may be useful to me in this, for same? I am in LA, CA 90025 and willing to travel to pick up.

Ideally, does anyone have a YJ D30 with 4.88's in it for sale, locker would be a plus (or knows where to get one)? Matching rear D44, Ford 8.8, or even D35 would be a super plus.

Does anyone know of any leads for some parts that could help me out here?

What locker would you recommend to stick in the front? I'm getting mixed responses to how OK it would be to have a true locker in there over a limited slip when driving on the street in 2WD.

Any other advice or wisdom you all have would be appreciated as well.

As of now my DD is down. Luckily I will be going out of town for a week on Wednesday, which will give me some time to try tracking down an axle or two. If any of you guys have leads on the parts I need, I'll swing by your town and pick you up a couple drinks

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long-winded-ness,
    Sean

No worries on the "long winded-ness."

I have a 93 YJ w/the 2.5L also. I have been running 4.88 gears on 33's for quite some time now. 4low is great with the 2.5L, 4hi is useless.
    There is a set of 35's behind my shed that are waiting to go on.....I can only assume that the bigger tires will match better with the gearing 4.88 gearing on the street - especially the highway. (engine is a bit buzzy at freeway speeds.) I have had a useful 5th gear all along with my gearing, so it seems odd to hear from other people.
    Is there a Dana 30 that you can find in the wrecking yards? You can clean it up, weld on any re-enforcements or what ever before installing it.
    Money pit!

Comment

Sean,

Welcome to MJR!

Check the "Jeep parts for sale" section. About 10 posts down is one from Steve (Barney1). Might help. Good Luck.

Mitch

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys

I know that I need 4.88's in the truck, it's not a matter of what gearing would be best - it's a matter of if it's worth the extra money to get the gearing I need.

Also Mitch, I took a look at Steve's post - the axle was close but alas it looks like it's already being parted out and for a TJ none the less.

I've realized that ideally the best thing I can find right now is a YJ Dana30 4.88 and a matching ford 8.8 for the rear. I'd rather get the good gearing instead of spending some money on the lockers and hopefully the axles have pre-installed gearing.
        Last edited by Sean S; 08-04-09, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Also Mitch, you're not selling these axles on ebay are you? I don't know how big Hesperia is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-Je...mZ140337194846

Comment

Also talk to (ART, aw12345).
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Sean,

Not my stuff! I wish it was cause that would mean that I was working again and doing upgrades!

Mitch

Comment

if this guy would ship, you might be on the right track...
                http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808713

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808919

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771091
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

the third post on pirate is by an mjr member. sahara0207

Comment

From one Sean to another :beer:
                    ok here goes:
                    1. find an axle with 4:10's, you could look for as junkyard axle which should only run 100-200 keep in mind you could also get a (4 cyl) xj axle and cut the bracketry off and weld on perches ( someone else may be able to chime in on this)

2. the problem with 4.88's in a 30, only 2 pinion teeth in contact with the ring gear, as opposed to 3 with 4.56 and down. This may not be a problem on the 4bangers, i really dont know

also if you want a locker may as well do the front since its out and you can get that stupid roll pin out (who thought this was a good idea? is the 5/16 bolt too expensive?)
                    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                      From one Sean to another :beer:
                      ok here goes:

2. the problem with 4.88's in a 30, only 2 pinion teeth in contact with the ring gear, as opposed to 3 with 4.56 and down. This may not be a problem on the 4bangers, i really dont know
                      I was not aware of this....It may or may not be a problem in the long run.....I can only speak from my own experience.....I have had no issues with the 4.88 gears in the Dana 30 running an Aussie locker and 33" MTR's. I don't play nice when I wheel my Jeep, so I would have expected problems already!

also if you want a locker may as well do the front since its out and you can get that stupid roll pin out (who thought this was a good idea? is the 5/16 bolt too expensive?)
                      Worth repeating - do the dirty work before the axle is installed! Even an Aussie locker is a P.I.T.A. when you have to lay on the ground!
                      Money pit!

Comment

I love the D30, have never had a problem, I run 33s. Do the rock trails with everyone else.
                        I would suggest a high pinion D30, seeing how the gears are running the correct direction it is about 20 percent stronger than a normal D30.
                        The D30 is legendary for it's abiliy to go places and be a small diff. using 33s and wheeling with sense (easy on the skinny) it has served the wheeling hobby for decades with great results. It has a huge following and has a lot of clearance under it.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

YJ's have the high pinion axle so he is good to go there
                          Stick a locker in it and gears of choice loose the disconnect and use one piece TJ axle shafts and it will be a pretty sweet setup

Comment

i have a new set of 488 im not gonna use because i think they are to tall for my yj with 33 and the 4.0 pm me if your interested
                            [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
                              i have a new set of 488 im not gonna use because i think they are to tall for my yj with 33 and the 4.0 pm me if your interested
                              I have 33" and 4:10 and they are good. I wouldn't go higher the 4:56 if it was me.

:2:

Comment

Working...
                              X