Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the recommended gear oil?

I have a Dana-44 with 48 gears and an ARB. What is the better oils and weight for proper lubrication of the gears and locker?

Thanks-
    Drew
    95yj Six Pack

There are some hi quality oils around (such as amsoil products). But I end up changing my gear oil so often doing things like axle seals and such, I just use valvoline 75w-90. Its cheep and easy to cary spares. Just my opinion.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

factory spec for a Rubicon D44 as an example is 75w140. Towing applications spec the same. Amsoil makes a really nice 75w110 that is competitively priced. Check out this gear oil white paper to see how the various brands stack up:
      http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearl...hitePaper.aspx

That will give you an apples to apples comparison and show that some of the popular brands don't do as well as even GM's syn.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. This way I can find a quality oil that will maintain the amount of friction and heat to a respectable level without breaking down and damaging the gears
        Drew
        95yj Six Pack

Comment

Use valvoline 75w-90. Its one of the best. Why don't you give it a try? It worked well form.

Comment

Working...
          X