Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ: need more ummph!

so i put a lift on my stock xj and slapped some 32's on it but now it just seems gutless even in 4 low. i have the 242 trans case and i believe 373 gears but im not sure. whats the deal. i dont want to spend a fortune but a little more uphill would be nice. what do i do? i just dont want to dump alot of money in this thing to play the guessing game on whether or not im gonna see a difference.

Gears will not be cheapest to do but will return you back to normal feeling power range. Hopefully your engine is in good operating condition and tuned correctly? Aren't you having overheating issues? Wonder if your engine is really working properly at all?
    I will guarantee that nothing "bolt on" will really add power that is worth the money. Throttle body spacers, fipks or "cai's" are a waste, just make sure it has a clean, oil-less, dry, air filter in stock box and good flowing exhaust and it will be about as good as its gonna get in the intake/exhaust dept.
    Building a stroker motor w/ added fuel, cam, exhaust, etc. is about all you can really do to the Jeep inline 6 to really wake it up short of supercharging it. But you think you have cooling issues now.......

Comment

If your XJ isnt a H.O. like the 91's and newer, you will have ponny power problems with the larger tires. I still have the stock 3.53 gears in mine, but it's also a H.O. I have tons of power even at 254k miles on the clock. Someone at work was just talking about theirs' and he bolted on the head and intake off a 92 onto his 89. Said it made a difference. Not sure if he had to change the computer or not. If you ever decide to rebuild, you might want to look at putting a crank out of a 4.2 in it. Its a drop in addition. Just my:2:
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

im over it.

well over heating prob is done bigger radiator. runs great but i just blew the trans up an hour ago. im @#$%^ cursed. thats what i get for trying to fix up an old car. one thing after another. oh and i looked into the specs on the 4.0 and the 4.0 h.o. engines and there is only like 15 horses difference. but i think the 91 and newer have the beefier drive train.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
          well over heating prob is done bigger radiator. runs great but i just blew the trans up an hour ago. im @#$%^ cursed. thats what i get for trying to fix up an old car. one thing after another. oh and i looked into the specs on the 4.0 and the 4.0 h.o. engines and there is only like 15 horses difference. but i think the 91 and newer have the beefier drive train.
          Hey man, I feel your pain. With Jeeps it's one thing after another. I have know idea why I love mine so much. I guess I love pain...

JEEP: Just Expect Every Problem or Just Empty Every Pocket
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

I have to add. While I can't say it is one thing or the other. Since I did them all within a week. But, I added a CAI, and Borla muffler (2.5" cat back), and hi flow cat, new head job, and the 4:10's and WOW! She runs like new with 33" on her. I have a '93 4.0 HO. The '93 has 188hp and the 4.2l had 112hp. Little more than 15hp unless I am missing something?

-Ron
            Last edited by Jeep4cern; 07-17-09, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
              I have to add. While I can't say it is one thing or the other. Since I did them all within a week. But, I added a CAI, and Borla muffler (2.5" cat back), and hi flow cat, new head job, and the 4:10's and WOW! She runs like new with 33" on her. I have a '93 4.0 HO. The '93 has 188hp and the 4.2l had 112hp. Little more than 15hp unless I am missing something?

-Ron
              XJ's didnt come with the 4.2 only the 4.0 non HO (renix), and the 4.0 HO ( which used a chrysler injector system.
              Did they ever make a 4.2 with FI? I thought it was only the old carb'd jeeps?
              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Nope the 4.2 only came carbed and the later ones had this crab electronic retard system on them which is not all that hard to bypass. since it basically uses an old Ford distributor and ignition module just wire it like Ford intended and you are good to go with those old beasties. When you do a Howell injection system that is part of the upgrade

Comment

Working...
                X