Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: T-case replacement

Hey, My wife caught me the other day and she was upset, she said, "what didja buy for yer jeep!" and I said, "nothing! what are you talkin' about?" She looked at me a lil' sideways and said, "your jeep looks different! you got something! you did something!" I thought for a minute, what did I do?

Then I said, "Honey, I washed it!"

ok, ok, but really, I wanted to get some opinions, I have a 4.0 and a 5spd, 4.88's in the axles and Detroit lockers spinning 35 MTR's. My T-case is tired, but it's ok... but it keeps leaking,a nd I think I tax it a bit so I was thinking of going Atlas, but then I saw Stax, so who has an opinion about the better or lighter or whatever? I have just now started to look at these guys. I want a case that can do 2hi, 2low, 4hi, & 4low. it doesn't have to be a much deeper low than I allready have, but it would be nice to go a lil slower...

Thanx for yer opinions in advance.... :beer:
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

The Stak 3 speed case's are real nice. 4:1's are great, but often they seem like their too low, and sometimes you wish it was just a little lower. I like their 3 speed gear ratio options, 1:1, 2.33:1 and 4.33:1 OR 1:1, 3.05:1 and 5.44:1.

They're strong, but they're huge. I have a friend with one in a YJ. He wanted to run a flat skid plate, but the case is so large it hit the frame when rotated. The shifters are further back then stock, so you may have to rearrange things if you have a console or maybe go with cable actuated shifters.

Having said that, I just replaced my D300 with an Atlas. They're strong, reliable and fit my needs better.

Comment

Jeese,

If you are going to get in trouble, it might as well be for you actually did. Go out and buy something! I saw this sign at a shop just the other day, too funny.

"Your wife just called, she said to buy anything you want!"

Mitch

Comment

I am running the 4 speed Atlas with 4.88s. I like having the 2.7 : 1 and the 3.8 : 1 options for most of my wheeling needs. For the really technical stuff, the 10.4 : 1 is great. I know it sounds too low, but once you drive it you will be amazed. This darn transfer case is reliable and really the heart and soul of my Jeep...it's that good.

You can clock the Atlas flat in YJ if you cut the floor or use a small body lift. If you run cable shifters, you can locate them wherever your imagination leads you.

The darn thing is heavy (about 140 lbs), so I highly recommend using Roarke Fab Works Atlas Support Ring to provide additional support at the output.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

well the Atlas is looking pretty good so far, I have a 1" body lift, so it would be nice to bring that belly up a bit...

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with the Atlas. There are other very good transfer cases out there, but with the Atlas your getting a tried and true product. Not to mention that Advance Adapters has been very good about standing behind their products.

Comment

Atlas II

As said above, can't go wrong with the Twin stick. I've got the 5:1. With the 5-speed, 1st thru 4th gear is very useable. Plus you get a new sticker for the side of your Jeep (it adds to the overall horsepower of your junk).

Steve
              All slow and no show

Comment

you may have put me over the edge mentioning the sticker...

Comment

get the Atlas.
                  Stak is cool, but they have had some issues both in mechanics and in business.
                  Atlas is a safer bet.
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Dang.........someone owes me a sticker!

Comment

Jesse does love him some stickers! Thanks for the sticks. You are the Man!

Mitch

Comment

it all started in the 80's with those skateboards and that damn Tony Hawk... w/my Ernie slime balls, I was into big wheels even back then! My Sims street stik was all stickerd up!

maybe I should add sum grip tape to the rock sliders....

Comment

My NP-231 Transfer case is DEAD

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                          well the Atlas is looking pretty good so far, I have a 1" body lift, so it would be nice to bring that belly up a bit...
                          Jesse, at least you have the option of what to get. My NP-231 transfer case decided it was going to self destruct a bearing and now on a very small budget I need to find one used for dirt cheap or barter. Anyone got one laying around ??? Also to make matters worse I also discovered at the same time my rear right side Dana 44 axle is bent too.
                          Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 07-07-09, 06:21 PM.
                          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Yer welcome Mitch1 it was the least I could do!

Matt, hold on buddy! as soon as I get paid from Exxon, I am gonna pull the trigger on this bad boy, then I will want a place for my case... it just needs to be re-sealed and maybe put a new oil ring in it... I'm sure we could agree on a good price. You got a DD for now right?

sorry to hear about the 44 though, I got nothin' for that one...

Comment

Working...
                            X