Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So many lockers... So little time........

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But doing the Detroit U-turn wheelie is a lot of fun.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      I run Detroits F&R with a 2 low kit in the transfer case and it works great for me!
      bingo, love my 2 low
      by the way, the newer detroits are a lot better tham the pre soft lockers, seem to have better manners.
      when I was building the TJ I was going go ARB, but a few runs with friends and seeing them mess with air systems and I started looking at the ox, then I heard about cable problems, then arb said they had the washer(o ring) thing straitened out, So I looked at them again but saw the Terra system where you could lock it in if the air system failed. I got so confused I just went and installed the 2 detriots and a terra 2 low system.
      I will never say it is the best, just the most care free, you learn to live with the quirks. So then Missy buys herself a Rubicon, must say they have a nice system, a lot better than the Toy system, never knew when the FJC would kick in or out of lock.
      Like I said earlier, we could go on forever argueing lockers, but the final result will be the same. I choose detroits for the strength and simplisity, others choose this or that, I know of old timers that swear by limited slips. And time goes on. Oh and I think some of the reasons given for those 3 detroit failures would kill a lot of lockers. Personally I have never blown a detroit, but then I am very easy on the skinny pedal. they work great for me and I have never had one refuse to lock because of an air leak. Not that I am saying all air lockers get leaks, but then I do not have to worry if mine will.
      Last edited by blackZZR; 06-11-09, 07:26 AM.
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
        No, dont have one on the jeep but driven with one in a car. Maybe I am a little heavier on the skinny pedal than you (different driving style to begin with). I know for a fact if you hit the throttle in a turn with a detroit good things will not happen, we can all agree on this? I was always told to let off the gas in the corners with a detriot or it will lock up while in the turn. Its probably ok if you like drifting LOL. What is the tire size limit with a super 35 kit? My buddys got one in his 4cyl and he want 35's with 4.88 gears, should I tell him he need somthing different.
        I have the exact same setup in my 93 YJ and ran the Super 35 kit for about two years on 33" MTR's. The axle finally "gave up the ghost" on a waterfall out in Calico.
        I would say that 33's are about as big as you want to go with the Dana 35.
        The axle tubes and housing simply cannot hold together
        under the stresses that any type of rock crawling (fun) will put on it.
        Everybody has there axle of choice, but I replaced the Dana 35 with a Currie High Pinion 9" and I have been happy with my choice. At the time, the price for the Currie was half of the cost of a Dynatrac Dana 44 and I didn't want to dig through the junk yards.
        Money pit!

Comment

Working...
        X