Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrow Foot Print

I just got into wheelin, been on dirt bikes for ever. I picked up a 04 TJ with 4:56 ARB lockers, 4" lift and adjustable track arm, and 33 x 10.5 BFG's. Just got a set of rock sliders, thanks dukes69...and some other mods.

My question for the moment is, the stock 15" wheels have a 5" back set. That coupled with the tire only being 10.5 wide, is this too narrow of a foot print?

What is the most resonable wheel, tire and axle combo allowing for a wider foot print without changing differentials?

Thanks

33 x 12.50 worked good with my 4.56 gears but I think I need 4.88 gears for my new 35's or an atlas 4.3 or 5:1.

Comment

35 x12.50 with a rim backspacing of 4 to 3.25" will be sweet. 33x12.50 on the same rims is quite nice also.
      What's up Beau, Betsy chugging up the hil or not a low enough crawlspeed?

Comment

With a 35 12.50 You can get away with 4 inch backspacing with a 10 inch wheel like mine (Rubs very little) but with an 8" wheel I am pretty sure it will rub alot more. Yea not enough crawl ratio with the new 35's and 4.56.

Comment

With any of the above proposed wheel/tire sizes, I assume I need to upgrade the axles right? Will stock Rubicon axles suffice, or do I need to find really beefy ones?

Comment

Dana 44 in rear or Ford 8.8 and a dana 30 up front or Dana44 will work just fine. Now a set of upgraded axle shafts will do wonders for reliability with bigger tires. The stock rear shafts are kinda brittle and will eventually shatter, the front shafts the Yokes end up spreading and the u joints spinning and spitting one of the u joint caps off. This especially true with 35" tires. Never had a problem with 33's or 33's. With the 35's took about 2 months to turn the front shafts in to spare shafts only, IE it spread the yokes and the caps started turning

Comment

Working...
            X