Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Width D60's on CJ7

Ok, after lots of searching, and trading some hard labor (not really but don't tell anyone) I have come across a truck with a Dana60 in the front and GM14 bolt in the rear and plan to mount these under my 84 CJ7. I'll do the spring over lift while I am at as well. From those of you who have already done this mod do you have any words of wisdom.

This of coarse will have to be a winter project (too much summer time wheeling left to take the jeep down) and I am starting to gather all the parts needed now.

Any input would be great

I have this setup in my CJ-7.
    You will need to move your front spring mounts to the outside of the frame rails and move the rear spring mounts on the rear axle in a little to match the rear springs.
    Other than that,is an easy swap.
    You can e-mail me with any other questions,I don't come to this board often.
    Don.

Comment

Hey thanks, I'll do that for sure. I am pulling the axles off this weekend and redoing all the mounting hardware to get ready for my swap. I am pretty excited about it.

Comment

take lots of pics.

what size tires you going with?
        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Josh, the truck came with 42 super swampers.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...t/100_3032.jpg

I plan on going with 37", going with the spring over for now and will then move to coil over in the front after I build my build bank funds back up.

I have a set of Dana 44's front and rear that I plan to put back under the truck and sell it. The truck has a new 350 with a turbo 350 auto, and a NP205 transfer case. Might keep the transfer case, haven't decided.

I got the truck in return for doing some fabrication for a guy's jeep, just a couple weekends worth of work/ beer drinking so not a bad trade. Next time I see you in Mojave I hope to have everything done.

Comment

Clay,,,
            You might want to double check on what the front axle is... From the looks of it in the front shot,it looks like a 10 bolt and not a 60.
            If the truck is a 3/4 ton it wll not have a Dana 60 in it, it will either be a 44 or a 10 bolt.
            The front 60's were only under the 1 ton trucks.
            Don.

Comment

I thought the same thing and swayed back and fourth between it being a 44 and a 60 (the cover didn't match the GM 10 bolt). I measured the ring gear at 9.75 so I am assuming it a Dana 60 at this point. I haven't torn it completely down yet, broke a chromoly axle two weeks ago and wanted to get my jeep up and running again for this most excellecnt wheeling wheather.

There is nothing stock about this truck. It was somebodies project to build a rock crawler out of it, the back has an 84 truck bed that has been shortened and bobbed. Who ever it was that started the project started off with the right idea but began to cut corners in the setup.

I have a set of D44's that I plan to put back under the truck and sell the truck. It has a rebuilt 350 with a turbo 350 auto and a NP205 transfer case. Still debating on keeping the transfer case.

Thnaks for the heads up though, I struggled for awhile to identify the axle.

Comment

Working...
              X