Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life's hard, it's harder when I'm stupid.

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life's hard, it's harder when I'm stupid.

[COLOR="Sienna"]Okay gang...today's lesson is: "What could possibly go wrong if I don't pay attention to my u-joints?"

The following pictures prove I'm stupid, please, I don't need your reminders. But just to show everyone what could happen if you ignore that tiny little vibration while driving along.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

My CV shaft is roached. The housing is worn away so much I have no idea how this thing stayed together going down the road. The yoke coming out of the transfer case is also fried. I'll get pics of it tomorrow. Needless to say, I won't be allowing myself to do THIS again. Expensive lesson, this was a Tom Woods shaft. I doubt they'll R&R it.

This sux.
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
    [COLOR=sienna]Okay gang...today's lesson is: "What could possibly go wrong if I don't pay attention to my u-joints?"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=sienna]The following pictures prove I'm stupid, please, I don't need your reminders. But just to show everyone what could happen if you ignore that tiny little vibration while driving along.[/COLOR]

[CENTER][COLOR=sienna] [/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR=sienna][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[COLOR=sienna]My CV shaft is roached. The housing is worn away so much I have no idea how this thing stayed together going down the road. The yoke coming out of the transfer case is also fried. I'll get pics of it tomorrow. Needless to say, I won't be allowing myself to do THIS again. Expensive lesson, this was a Tom Woods shaft. I doubt they'll R&R it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=sienna]This sux.[/COLOR]
    Biting the tongue....
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

How old was that drive shaft? I've got a woody too (yeah I said it) . . . did you grease it often?
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
        How old was that drive shaft? I've got a woody too (yeah I said it) . . . did you grease it often?
        [COLOR="Sienna"]I did NOT grease it often enough. This is pure negligence on my part. I'm not sure how old the drive shaft was, I got it from Erik (Nailer341) last year. I greased it then, put it on the Jeep and ran with it.

I thought the vibration was "not that bad"... I've been under the Jeep a ton this last week, just checking stuff out here and there. I actually found this by luck. As I said, I feel really stupid, but if ONE person can learn from my mistake...I'll feel a little useful.[/COLOR]

Comment

Nick, you know you have to keep my shaft lubed.
          you made a mess of that one
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
            [COLOR="Sienna"]I didn't hear any complaints...

I did make a mess of it... I didn't know your shaft was so needy.[/COLOR]

Comment

Nick take a deep breath, its not as bad as it seems a new yoke, centering ball and 2 u joints could very well fix it as long as the centering pin on the shaft it self is still good. It's not to bad from the pictures it looks like it just messed up the part of the u joint that bolts to the yoke if that is all its not to bad. Also start using non greasable spicer u joints. As long as you lube the centering ball every 3-6 months you'll be ok
              If the yoke ears on the shaft it self and the cv part are ok the shaft is rebuildable. You would need the rear yoke for the transfer case (don't recall if the front one has the same thread if so that would work)
              a centering ball this a spicer part and is around 40 bucks 2 good non greasable u joints and a bunch of patience to put it back together

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                [COLOR=sienna]I didn't hear any complaints...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=sienna]I did make a mess of it... I didn't know your shaft was so needy.[/COLOR]

Get a room guys!
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  Nick take a deep breath, its not as bad as it seems a new yoke, centering ball and 2 u joints could very well fix it as long as the centering pin on the shaft it self is still good. It's not to bad from the pictures it looks like it just messed up the part of the u joint that bolts to the yoke if that is all its not to bad. Also start using non greasable spicer u joints. As long as you lube the centering ball every 3-6 months you'll be ok
                  If the yoke ears on the shaft it self and the cv part are ok the shaft is rebuildable. You would need the rear yoke for the transfer case (don't recall if the front one has the same thread if so that would work)
                  a centering ball this a spicer part and is around 40 bucks 2 good non greasable u joints and a bunch of patience to put it back together
                  [COLOR="sienna"]The pictures are a little deceiving. I first thought the same as you, but unfortunately, if I were to rebuild this one, I'd need to start at the first U-joint closest to the shaft. I'm going to price the spicer parts at Napa today. You can count on me to have a grease gun on the trail from now on. Lube, lube, lube...[/COLOR]

Get a room guys!
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]I'll see you tonight.... [/COLOR]

Comment

I'm not sure if yours is the same as mine (YJ/TJ) but I have to remove it to lube it properly. For some reason grease goes into the centering joint better when the shaft is in a straight line. Plus for mine there's no room for the zerks so I had to use needle or low profile zerk, the others just got busted off. As art said, "It's not then end..." As long as the shaft is good all the moving stuff can be replaced.

Probably time to grease mine too, thanks for the reminder Nick, Tom

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Tom,

YES go lube that thing now if you can!

[CENTER]
                      By this picture, with these grease points I used
                      the needle type gun to push lube into the u-joints.
                      I just didn't do it nearly often enough.[/CENTER]

With the "active season" for most of us showing up now, I'd say to everyone, learn from my screw-up and just throw some extra lube in there now if you can.
                      [/COLOR]

Comment

Nick buy some non greasable spicer u joints they are pricey but will last longer and no hassle with a grease gun. If it gets to expensive look for a used xj front shaft at the junkyard should be mostly the same parts just swap it all over. With non greasable u joints all you have to lube is the centering ball wich is a pain in the behind to get at do that 2-3 times a year and you are golden

Comment

Working...
                        X