Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Truetrac

I know most on this forum are pretty hard-core wheelers and would ONLY install an ARB, or OX but I'm curious if anyone is running a Detroit Truetrac LSD in the front diff. They are half the cost of a true locker (seen them as low as $350), easier on the axle shafts, and provide good lock-up as long as both front wheels are on the ground. Im running a Detroit full locker in the rear with 30 spline superior shafts.
    For the kind of wheeling I do (light to semi-difficult) would this be a capable set-up? Obviously I wouldnt try the Hammers or any other tripple black diamond with it.

Thanks for your input!
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

I'll place my bet on somebody chiming in about an aussie. Cheaper than the truetrac LSD, and can be installed by you in an afternoon inside your existing carrier. No need to re setup the gears.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]My concern would be more along the line of drivability. You already have a detroit in the rear...doesn't yours try to change lanes on you like mine does? Or is that just me?[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I've heard aussies/powertrax etc.. are pretty hard on the axle shafts and tend to snap them. Eventually I'll upgrade to superiors in the front.
        As far as the Detroit in the rear, the only issues I have are when making tight turns on pavement, it dosent release right away and I get a little tire chirp accompanied with a faint banging sound.
        "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

I have one on my tj dana 30 and it seems to work good. I have no problems doing what others with full lockers have done. I have 33" tires and am planning on 35's in the near future. I feel it is easier on the front axle shafts than a full locker and might be the answer to make or break it. I fell this is the ideal set up on a new jk because the electronic brake setup would work together with it to make it almost like a true locker. Usually with one tire in the air you have to ride the brakes in order to get the front to lock up and with the new jk setup the braking computer does this for you automatically.

Comment

I've been running one for years, no problems.I've had no problems keeping up.works great.
            95 GC 4.5 RE,adjustable UCA/LCA,32's,456's,tru-trac up front,trac-lock rear,and other goodies

Comment

I had a tru trac on a jeep I had in the 80's and it never failed me. I didn't do severe wheeling in those days (nor do I now) but I did put it though some difficult trails and it worked perfect. On pavement covered in snow it's a little tricky but otherwise very predictable. I decided to install one in my 05 unlimited because I don't have selectable hubs. So for no issues.

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssue...ticle=truetrac

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the input, I believe a front Truetrac is the right choice for my application.
                Good reference article Commadoman.

Comment

Working...
                X