Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: 4banger oil leak

so i noticed tonight that the front of my motor is starting to sweat a bit of oil. im not 100% sure where it is coming from.

Will i need to expose my timing chain to get all of the gaskets changed? if im doing that should i go ahead and get a new chain since im already in there?

Is it just rtv or is there a gasket?

Should i replace the water pump while im at it and everything is apart?

What all will i have to remove???

lots of questions, hopefully some answers?
    thanks

Find the source of the leak first, go from there
    Timing chain is easy to check remove distributor cap
    Set the thing on tdc look at how many degrees of engine rotation it takes at the timing pointer by the crankshaft pulley to move the rotor back and fort just a hair if it takes more than 10 degrees of crankshaft rotation its getting time to replace the timing chain. On a lot of engines if you take the timing cover of it is easier to take the oil pan of also makes it easier to get the bottom seal of the timing cover in place. If you are handy enough you can skip that part but its easier to take it off
    Check a manual for the 2.5 l engine though, it will walk you through the whole thing if need be I can find you that part of the factory manual

Comment

Here is something else to check before you spend a lot of time pullng things apart. Years ago I had the same problem with a slight oil leak on my four banger. Everyone told me I had blown the rear main seal which is located between the tranny and the motor. Easily accessed by removing the oil pan. So, I purchased a new seal (which I still have), gaskets for the oil pan that I was going to have to remove, & all the necessary fluids. Turns out a few valve cover bolts were loose and a with a turn of a wrench, no more oil leak.

Comment

ya i will go over everything and see. im sure the timing chain is fine, its just since i will have the cover off might as well change it. i think its the front main seal gone i will tighten some stuff up and wash it down and check, thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
          so i noticed tonight that the front of my motor is starting to sweat a bit of oil. im not 100% sure where it is coming from.

Will i need to expose my timing chain to get all of the gaskets changed? if im doing that should i go ahead and get a new chain since im already in there?

Is it just rtv or is there a gasket?

Should i replace the water pump while im at it and everything is apart?

What all will i have to remove???

lots of questions, hopefully some answers?
          thanks
          i know this problem already been solved but may i ask for the replacement of water pump? can you tell me on how to do this one? and how to change my gaskets? hope you could help me on this. thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X