Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AXLE INFO NEEDED (Dana 44)

I'm looking to put bigger beefier axles under my 1993 ZJ. I want Dana 44's...but I also want the rear axle to have disc brakes. I plan on going to the local Auto-Salvage yards to find these front and rear axles. My only problem is what vehicles should I look for, and how do I verify that the axles I'm looking at are Dana 44's? What physical/visual things do I need to look for? Thanks in advance for any help.
    MY JEEP ROCKS... DOES YOURS'?

Redneck small talk:
    D'jeet? No, d'ju? Yump-to? Aiaght.

Why not use a Ford exploder axle?
    It's cheaper comes with diskbrakes and is pretty darn strong. Dana 44's can be blown up we proved that today
    Busted the shaft and whiped out the carrier made our wheeling day a bust

Comment

do ford explorer axels bolt right in or is there some mods to be done first?
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
        do ford explorer axels bolt right in or is there some mods to be done first?
        Nope, not bolt in. Especially not in a grand cherokee. For a ZJ it'll need the control arm brackets, track bar bracket, shock mounts and spring buckets welded on. For a XJ the spring perches will have to be cut, moved and rewelded. Bolt pattern is the same, so you dont have to change the wheels. Also, not all 8.8's have disc brakes. Do a search and look for the best years. I believe its 93 and up, but dont quote me.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info....that helps me tons.
          MY JEEP ROCKS... DOES YOURS'?

Redneck small talk:
          D'jeet? No, d'ju? Yump-to? Aiaght.

Comment

Thanks Chris for the info. Not sure if I'm ready to go cutting up my XJ just yet. I just put the locker in my 35. The 8.8 might be one of those " well the dana 35 is toasted, start over with something better' projects.
            Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

can you buy brackets for the XJ's and MJ's anywhere? i pulled the dana 44's of the YJ and want to put them in the MJ and it would save me alot of time buying new brackets and mounts.
              :devil: Giffer

Comment

i would assume that a company like currie would but i couldnt find anything on there site.

Comment

giffer you better have that mj all done up on them slick 38's by august long weekend or who am i gonna wheel with?

Comment

Rubicon Express sells the brackets you need. Not cheap, but....

We always just cut the brackets off the donor D35 and weld them on whatever we're upgrading...
                    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

$410.00 USD for those brackets from RE. no way in h&*$ will i pay that for 5 dollars worth of steal.

Comment

YOu can find brackets much cheaper elsewhere. TnT, BTF, Ballistic, all have brackets that will work well with any axle swap.
                        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X