Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Fuel?

i got a 1993 ZJ with the 4.0 , I'm not getting any good fuel supply to my engine. I can get 20psi at key-on, and 40psi if I turn the key on-off-on-off-on. Then it'll start and run for about 3 sec. If I just turn the key on then try to start it, will only "pretend" to fire. I know I have good spark. Can anyone help me.
    MY JEEP ROCKS... DOES YOURS'?

Redneck small talk:
    D'jeet? No, d'ju? Yump-to? Aiaght.

Since you have static pressure (i.e., 20-40 psi with the key on but the engine not running), but do not have sufficient dynamic flow to keep it running (the engine stops after 3 seconds), it's an indication that something is partially blocking the fuel line. The partial blockage will allow enough fuel to get through to build up pressure, but once you start the engine, not enough fuel gets past the blockage to keep it running.

I don't know where the fuel pump and fuel filter are located on a '93 ZJ; I would think that the most likely culprit is a clogged fuel filter. Another, less likely possibility is that there is a kinked fuel line; maybe a rock hit it and partially collapsed it.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Comment

Seems to me its time to do some checking on the fuel pump. For starters does it get adequate voltage to it while it runs for a bit? as soon as you cycle the key it should shoot up to close to 40 lbs after that it will drop of does the pump even come on while you start/ run it? That should point you in the right direction

Comment

whats the weather like in utah?? i had to tow my car into the shop today at work for it was just to cold. would run for about 10 seconds and then just die. could be moisture in the fuel causeing it to freeze. or even out of fuel. check the easiest first.
        :devil: Giffer

Comment

I have done a full tune-up...fuel filter, sparkplugs, wires, cap / rotor, and oil / filter. So, I know that covers that. I have added HEET to the fuel. As I got looking deeper into things I have found the whole engine harness has messed up wires, some of the inj. wires, O2 sensor wires and others are broken / bare. So, I need to get a new one and check voltage to the fuel pump. Also, I need to disconnect the fuel lines and clear them to eliminate that from being the issue.

BTW, the weather today wasn't too bad...mid 40's. The last couple of days we got 4-5in. snow, it sucks somewhat cuz I want it to be summer!
          Last edited by utah_redneck; 03-11-09, 07:55 PM. Reason: forgot info
          MY JEEP ROCKS... DOES YOURS'?

Redneck small talk:
          D'jeet? No, d'ju? Yump-to? Aiaght.

Comment

Working...
          X