Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amc 20 set 9 bearing

Its time again to pack my bearings.

My question is this, Timken set 9 (u298) bearings are what I use, but is there a bearing that is a sealed unit that does not need to be packed

or is there a way to run by removing the inter seal and use the gear oil to lubercate the bearings?
    Last edited by D4x4Fish; 02-28-09, 07:47 AM.
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Originally posted by D4x4Fish View Post
    Its time again to pack my bearings.

My question is this, Timken set 9 (u298) bearings are what I use, but is there a bearing that is a sealed unit that does not need to be packed

or is there a way to run by removing the inter seal and use the gear oil to lubercate the bearings?
    Do you have 1 piece axles?
    I am Savvy.

Comment

I have the superior 1 piece axle. The Timken set9 bearing or u298/u269 part number is used. You have to have the bearing retainer from the set9 trimmed down from .600" to .465" width in order to clear the inter seal. Both stock inter and outer seals are used.

The problem is you have to destory the bearing retainer to remove it to pull the bearing off to pack it, replacing both seals.

I have E-mailed SKF and they do not have a sealed unit. Im still waiting for a reply from Timken.

Other websites say to pull the inter seal and go ahead and run a wet bearing (gear oil). I tried this with my off brand 1 peice axle with no luck. The outer seal leaked right from the go on both sides.

I do have a Ford 9" in the making, its just for now I have to much past money into my amc20, ARB and 1 piece axles and now (a disk brake setup $100). Just waiting intill I can afford a high9 pinion with an ARB.
      [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
      In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Working...
      X