Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust opinon on the 2.5?

ok so here is my plan.

i intend to cut out my entire factory exhaust. and replace it with, in theory some sort of dual side exhaust. i figured y pipe off the header then run beside the frame to just infront of my rear tires put a 90 on the end with a tip and call her a day. o and put something like a blue bottle or something similar, a tubular shaped sound muffling device on each pipe. now since i am in the great white north where we have tons of clean air and lots of trees and no people, i dont have to worry about the cat or gettind smogged or anything.

question one: does anyone know how to cap an o2 sensor on the exhaust so i dont throw codes?

question two: how loud do ya'll reckin this will be?

thanks guys and gals

hurricane

chances are, it will give you a head ache everytime you turn it on. my buddy as a toyota with blue bottle on her, running duels and i hate the thing. it just drives you off the wall whenever you get in it or around it. dont go with the blue bottles. it just to high pitched for a 4 banger. other then that i have no idea what kind of muffler to go with.
    :devil: Giffer

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
      ok so here is my plan.

i intend to cut out my entire factory exhaust. and replace it with, in theory some sort of dual side exhaust. i figured y pipe off the header then run beside the frame to just infront of my rear tires put a 90 on the end with a tip and call her a day. o and put something like a blue bottle or something similar, a tubular shaped sound muffling device on each pipe. now since i am in the great white north where we have tons of clean air and lots of trees and no people, i dont have to worry about the cat or gettind smogged or anything.

question one: does anyone know how to cap an o2 sensor on the exhaust so i dont throw codes?

question two: how loud do ya'll reckin this will be?

thanks guys and gals

hurricane
      My only question is why?

The engine was designed to run with the O2 sensors. Why go through all of the effort to end up with something that runs worse?
      Money pit!

Comment

On my ols XJ it had the 2.5, I ended up with a Cherry Bomb Glasspack.... it sounded good, a little loud but not too bad. At least not a loud as my 94 Dodge Dakota, it's 2wd short bed and has a mpfi 318ci...lets just say my buddies can hear me a mile away.
        MY JEEP ROCKS... DOES YOURS'?

Redneck small talk:
        D'jeet? No, d'ju? Yump-to? Aiaght.

Comment

im not certain it would run worse. and i want to do it for the simple fact that i think it would look good and sound decent. plus free up a couple ponies from the 2.5L, probably nothing huge, if it gave me 5 extra i would be impressed///happy.

Comment

I have added the Turbo-City intake, intake spacer, JBA headers, electric fan, new cat converter and a Flowmaster muffler. What has been my ROI? A little more power on the top end 3-4k rpm - freeway speeds.

My comment about it running worse refers to your mention of running the O2 sensor in some kind of a loop. I have done everything listed above and it still passes the California smog!

The 2.5L is a low output engine and from what I have read even porting the heads for better flow will only move the power band up the RPM range - not something that I need! There is even talk about the restrictive factory exhaust helping the engine to develop more HP because of the back pressure it creates......

If you have the money, perhaps you might consider a turbo or supercharger.
            Last edited by pdw; 03-06-09, 11:39 AM.
            Money pit!

Comment

As the owner of another 2.5l Jeep let me suggest either a peformance muffler or one of the many cat-back kits on the market. Either will make your jeep sound better. Real performance gains are not to be had on the 2.5 regardless of what you do. You'll need to keep the cat as it has an O2 sensor, just as the down pipe does.
              I have a performance muffler that I simply used to replace my stock, bashed up muffler. It sounds great, but its not quite as loud as the Dynamax cat-back system my wife has on her 2.5 wrangler. Hers sounds a bit more high-pitched, while mine sounds a little mellower, although both are significantly louder than stock.
              For performance, the best return on investment comes from ditching your restrictive stock intake and replacing it with one of the high-flow tube intakes on the market. After I installed the Turbo City intake, I had better low end response and a 17% increase in mileage. Go exhaust for sound, but intake for performance.
              It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
              and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

i already have an intake and tbs, as well as electric fan. i had all of that and a performance muffler on my 97 2.5 and i liked it for sure. im just thinking that more flow must meen more power, sadly i dont have the money for a turbo or supercharger right now.

Comment

The one thing I know about the O2 senser is without it your idle will suck because of the ECU(computer)It relys on the signal to set idle.Now as far as performance gains from a open exhaust,you need valve,head,cam,and intake mods for anything to work like you want.You can lose more then gain unless you use 2 smaller pipes off of the head pipe and get the sound you want.Been a looong time sense I HotRoded but you might check some of those sites,like (God forgive me)some of the Jap 4 banger sites.Good luck
                  Dennis
                  Dennis and Tammy
                  Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

hmm i know a guy who can reprogram the computer in his civic..wonder if he could do mine to change it after i remove the o2 sensor. i wasnt planing on useings to open of a pipe, not like 3 inch, maybe stock size, nothing bigger

Comment

Working...
                    X