Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch problem

I have been having problems with my clutch. About every few day's i have to bleed it or i will not have any pressure in my pedal. I hasnt been that big of a deal because i have a vacume pump and it is pretty easy. Now it is just starting to be a pain in the butt because i have to do it about every other day now. Does any one know what this might be. I dont want to replace the slave or the master and not have that be it. BTW when i bleed it there is a bit of air in the line.
    1993 YJ 4.0 5 speed 5" suspension lift, 8.8 conversion, 33 12.50-15 SS TSL bias ply wrapped around 15x10 Black crager's, OBA and Bumpers just to name a few

I have a 93 YJ with the 2.5L. A few weeks ago, I noticed that my clutch had lost about 1/2 of its pedal pressure, but still engaged smoothly. Then the fitting that attaches the line to the slave cylinder would no longer hold.
    So, I replaced the line from the clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder. It has a special slip-fitting (that appears to be used only on the 93's) lost its ability to hold onto the slave cylinder.
    $164.00 later and I am mobile again.
    (I'm glad it's my toy and not my daily driver!)
    I searched Quadratec, but they don't seem to offer that line for the 93. Only the 87-92's.
    Money pit!

Comment

Oh wow. I hope it is not anything that expensive.
      Plus since you have the ax5 and i have the ax15 i wonder if there is a price difference.
      1993 YJ 4.0 5 speed 5" suspension lift, 8.8 conversion, 33 12.50-15 SS TSL bias ply wrapped around 15x10 Black crager's, OBA and Bumpers just to name a few

Comment

Well, your mileage may vary, but if you have the same type of slip-fit connector, then that ought to be the fix for what ails your clutch!
        Money pit!

Comment

It does have a slip fit on the bottom but it is less than 1 year old.

Comment

Hmmmm....Are you losing any fluid from the slave cylinder? I was looking at my Haynes manual and it does not show an inspection port of any kind, but you may be able to remove the "insulator plate" and the "rubber insulator" that surround the bleeder line and look into the bell housing to see if the slave cylinder is leaking.
            Look over everything to see if you have a small leak.
            The line coming out of the clutch master cylinder is only held in place by a small metal pin. Is there any evidence of brake fluid leakage there? There is only one small O-ring at the end of the line where it meets the clutch master cylinder. It can be very easily damaged if care is not taken when inserting or removing the line into the clutch master cylinder.
            Money pit!

Comment

There is no leak's where the plastic line meets up with the metal line at the tranny. I will take your advise and try and look up at the slave and see if it is wet.

Comment

It also could be wet inside and dripping down the inside firewall under the carpet. That would mean the Master cylinder is bad.

Brett
                offroadwerkz.com
                (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Well i dont have carpet. It is herculined.
                  Also it is not wet.
                  I just decided today to go get a new clutch kit and master cylinder.
                  Also the clutch is still original at 142783 miles i thing it is about time to change it out!

Comment

Does any one have any good wrightup's on swapping this clutch out?

Comment

Well i started on swapping out the master and pulling a few bolts and dropping the T-Case. When i was doing so a drop of brake fluid dropped on my face from the bellhousing so i guess it was the slave.

Comment

Well, that is a mixed blessing! You found the problem before reassembling the entire thing! Likely your clutch is ruined from brake fluid contamination.
                        I would have a local shop resurface/turn the pressure plate. With that many miles on the original setup, I would have everything done while it is torn apart.
                        Money pit!

Comment

Yup. I finished it up around 7:00pm yesterday and it all works great. Now my pedal is just to easy to push!

Comment

Good news!
                            Did you replace everything? Clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, etc.....?

Last night I got my son to help me finish bleeding the air out of the clutch line. It was like pulling teeth to get him to sit in the drivers seat for the five minutes that it took to pump the clutch pedal a few times!
                            Money pit!

Comment

LOL! Yes i swapped out everything.
                              Pressure plate, Slave, Clutch, Master, Pilot bearing and also resurfaced the flywheel.
                              It is Awesome now!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X