Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished. I was able to do the whole thing without removing the carrier. Thank you nailer for those two links. The YouTube video with the clutchpack measurements was right on. The video said that factory spec was .640"-.645" and the max you can do for extra lock is .655". I was able to shim my clutchpacks to .650". It is really late so I haven't driven it yet. Tomorrow I will post some pictures and let you guys know how it drives. This as simple enough to do that when my pile of pennies gets talk enough I think I'll be looking for an ARB for the front axle and milking this LSD till the next set of clutchpacks.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

make sure you put in the LSD additive, or specific gear oil for the limited slip.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Your front diff would actually be a great place for an Aussie Locker. That's where I've got mine now; does not affect streetability. When you're on the trail, you point your wheels where you want, and go. The disadvantage of a rear locker is that it always wants to push you straight forward, even when you want to turn. It can get you sideways in snow, etc., too. Again, with a front locker, you can point the wheels, and they will generally pull you that direction. With an Aussie Locker up front, when you're not in 4WD, your front wheels differentiate normally. Sometimes I notice a little clicking, but I'm running Royal Purple up there...probably still hasn't broken in yet. For $250 or so installed, you can't beat it.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
          I just finished. I was able to do the whole thing without removing the carrier. Thank you nailer for those two links. The YouTube video with the clutchpack measurements was right on. The video said that factory spec was .640"-.645" and the max you can do for extra lock is .655". I was able to shim my clutchpacks to .650". It is really late so I haven't driven it yet. Tomorrow I will post some pictures and let you guys know how it drives. This as simple enough to do that when my pile of pennies gets talk enough I think I'll be looking for an ARB for the front axle and milking this LSD till the next set of clutchpacks.
          Good to hear! So did everything work out after the test drive? How long did it end up taking you?
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Thanks for checking up. Everything went great. The rebuild took me about four hours. One thing that I was surprised by was the brakes. I have never taken the rotors off because I have only had the jeep for a little more than a month. But when I slid the axles out I realized that my rear brakes are both disk and drum brakes. The emergency brake is a drum brake set up inside the disk brake rotor. This my be a normal thing but I've never seen it before. I noticed that the lower spider gear had sustained some damage from the metal tabs that came off my clutches. It was not debilitating but damaged non the less. I was half expecting to notice some tire chirping on the way to work the next day but nothing. This TracLoc limited slip is unnoticeable on the street. I dont think its that great for rock crawling either. I did notice the differance when I had two tires in the air though. Check out this vid of my Track-lock in action.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
              Your front diff would actually be a great place for an Aussie Locker. That's where I've got mine now; does not affect streetability. When you're on the trail, you point your wheels where you want, and go. The disadvantage of a rear locker is that it always wants to push you straight forward, even when you want to turn. It can get you sideways in snow, etc., too. Again, with a front locker, you can point the wheels, and they will generally pull you that direction. With an Aussie Locker up front, when you're not in 4WD, your front wheels differentiate normally. Sometimes I notice a little clicking, but I'm running Royal Purple up there...probably still hasn't broken in yet. For $250 or so installed, you can't beat it.
              For $250 or so installed, you can't beat it.
              I have had an Aussie locker in the front end of my Jeep for about two-three years now. I completely forget that it is even there. It took a little bit of time for it to break in and stop making the clicking noises, but I was able to walk up many things with ease out at the Meet & Greet/Bullfrog.

This Jeep is a weekend toy and the only thing that I would replace the Aussie with would be a Detroit locker. I know that alot of people love the ARB's, but I agree with the simplicity of the products.
              Money pit!

Comment

I agree I love the simplicity of the Aussie. I am however a little worried about breaking axles and ujoints in my HP30. I still have a few more needs to take care of on this Jeep. But I think my first want will be a Aussie locker up front. My Trac lock limited slip is almost unnoticeable even with a tighter then recommended clutch pack. But with what little help that provides and an Aussie I will be happy.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Before you get all carried away spending money try running some trails and find the limitations of your Jeep. Some guys are planning a run tomorow on Cleghorn
                  That is a really nice trail to cut your teeth on.
                  Most all of it can be run on 31's and open diffs
                  You get comfortable running that then step up to tougher trails would be nice for you to find a comparable trail in the San Diego area

Comment

I would like to find some trails in SD. I am out of town all weekend but next opportunity I get to run Cleghorn I will. Ive seen lots of trip reports.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

For a bunch of us it's only a 30 min drive.
                      For you look into justruns.com the post most of their runs in the San Diego area or pm a guy on here by the screen name Borregowrangler. He has does a lot of wheeling in the San Diego area

Comment

I get the justruns e-mails. Quite a few runs in Mexico, and tons out in Borrego/Anza/Ocotillo/etc.

I haven't been on any "official" justruns runs.
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Neither have I but for you folks down south it's not a bad thing to do some runs wuth them they go out to truckhaven quite a bit and some other local areas to you. Same goes for some of the FJ guys that hang out on
                          http://www.oausa.net/forums/index.ph...16b6a598acfb16

They do a fair amount of runs in your neck of the woods, nothing to drastic but might be fun for you guys and keep it a bit closer to home

Comment

When I lived in Murrieta.. I wheeled alot in anza area.. found a cool cabin out in borrego...

pic of my very first XJ.

Cabin out in Borrgeo..
                            [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                            PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Hey Leadfootjosh,
                              Id have to say that seeing the pic of your XJ, its like looking at my XJ's twin, without knowing whats under the frame in suspension, its identical. I dont have any pics on here of it, just on my facebook page.
                              Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
                                Hey Leadfootjosh,
                                Id have to say that seeing the pic of your XJ, its like looking at my XJ's twin, without knowing whats under the frame in suspension, its identical. I dont have any pics on here of it, just on my facebook page.
                                my blue one.. or the black one with white fenders??
                                [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
                                PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Working...
                                X