Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0 power adders

Anybody have any success stories with bolt-on or plug-in power adders? I’m not interested in cams and strokers or engine swaps. Just chips, tuners, air filters, exhaust etc. I’d really like to hear from fellow jeepers, not vendors. Did you make a change and now your jeep will pull a long grade without down shifting where you once needed to? I don’t really care about the mileage but hearing that information would fine. I’m asking about real world experiences and lessons learned. I’m sure there are a number of you that wouldn’t do something again if you had it to do over.

I just bought my jeep and it hads banks headers and a K&N carb leagal intake. Feels pretty good. I haven’t driven this particular jeep without the headers but I seems to me to have considerably more power than most of the 4Ls I’ve driven. And I have 4.10 gears and 33's.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

4.0 power adders

Lower gears.

Ron
      1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

No real gains from air cleaners and exhausts, very mild at best. The only thing I noticed after installing the all too hated K&N air system was that it climbs hills a little better than before. Where I really noticed the difference was getting those BA 4.88's in the axles. I don't go fast, but I pull like a mutha...
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
          A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to The United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life.
          Cool tag line.
          1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

what about a supercharger or a turbo system? ive heard of a few companies that make a kit but i just dont trust putting a 20 year old motor under boost.
            :devil: Giffer

Comment

I've got 4.38's and 33's

But I'm still looking for responses on what else works. Unichip, jet, diablo, etc all make claims, but I haven't meet people who substantiate them in the real world. Not just wheeling, but out on the road as well. I may want to go to 35's and want to have the power to not have to run a gear lower just to get around.

Comment

Originally posted by Commandoman View Post
                But I'm still looking for responses on what else works. Unichip, jet, diablo, etc all make claims, but I haven't meet people who substantiate them in the real world. Not just wheeling, but out on the road as well. I may want to go to 35's and want to have the power to not have to run a gear lower just to get around.
                Well,
                I can't speak for the Jet programmer for Jeeps, but I used a Jet in my 81 Corvette with very suprising increases in both HP and torque. It took some training to find the right settings, but when I did, holy Crap! But I had several mods on top of the programmer. Anyone with a Jeep running a performance programmer should chime in, but I would suspect that what is true for my old vette would be true for a Jeep. One thing to be aware of; older engines are less accepting of performance enhancers due to ring and cylinder wear, leaking valve guides, weak head gaskets, etc. Good luck with your search.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I installed 4: 88 gears, a high flow CAT and muffler, High flow 'cold air' intake system with a big filter and then I put in a screamin' demon coil, new wires and cap & rotor and gapped my Champions to match (bigger gap baby) ... and then I installed Hesco high flow injectors, and THEN I felt a good power difference! the only downside so far is a faster than normal Idle.

That and when you get a topless '91 Wrangler on 35's w/no doors, no swaybar, no trackbars, 4"lift, recently layed on its side going 80-sum-odd miles and hour down the 15fwy an' yer reachin' down to turn up the volume on the radio - It's just as exciting as being on the rocks!
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I've done much of what's been mentioned, but also used a hypertech programmer. Using this requires premium gas, but you can program back to factory and run regular unleaded if you don't need the power and want to save on fuel. I have cat-back, cold air, hesco throttle body spacer, hypertech and 4.88's w/35's and she behaves like she's on stock 31's with 4:10s.

Comment

Originally posted by Commandoman View Post
                      35s eh?
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I been running the Edge Jammer Performance kit w 62mm tbi & w/ K&N intake. love it!!! out of the box, has seat of pants improvement. yes there is a little wistle from the Tbi off the peadle which you barley hear over the MTR's and Banks Cat back. small hills around here which used to lug up now no problem. cajon pass 80+ with out the auto down shifting.
                        Will see after the 35's go on what happens.

Fuel mi 15-16mpg but can't stop from putting
                        my foot into all the time.
                        Solor Yellow LJ Rubicion 4.5 SF SA. Body armor bumpers, Sliders, Warn RC 9.0, CB,Intake, Edge TB and programer.35" X Terrains, Some additional cage work

Comment

Bolt ons dont do much of anything for the 4.0, is pretty much incapable of squeezing out any more power than stock. Its designed for low end torque and to run forever with little maintenance, its basically a '60s tractor engine.
                          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

The 4.0 is verry similar to the chevy 235 inline six in my 53 pickup.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

i love the 4.0. its a great motor and they never give up. i cant even count how many times ive sucked in water. everytime just drain the oil, filler and she fires right up.
                              and sorry to jack the tread but OU812 model is that 53? im looking for a 53 1300. found one but the guy doesnt want to part with it yet.
                              :devil: Giffer

Comment

Working...
                              X