Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x4 Comanche to 4x4 comanche

has anyone here ever done a 4 wheel drive conversion from a 2 wheel drive? the comanche i bought a couple of monthy ago is a 2 wheel drive and i was hoping the i could just strip the necessairy parts of the YJ and drop them under the comanche. things like the transmission and transfercase. and i cant see that being a problem but i was wondering what all of the cables/sensors are on the transfercase are. im thinking the one is the speedo? does anyone here have any knowledge or even input on this?
    :devil: Giffer

I have swapped a 4x2 XJ to 4x4. you need the drive shafts, trans, transfer, front axle (of the same ratio),
    transfer shift linkage, handle, and mounts from the transfer and body of XJ.
    What year MJ?
    early transfers had a vacuum control for the front axle disconnect, latter ones did not. otherwise the transfer has the speedo and maybe speed sensor off the speedo.
    The YJ axle has all the wrong mounts on it.
    1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

what do you mean by the yj axles have the wrong mounts?? can i not skip that part? and for the speedo and sensor would it not by elsewhere on the comanche, so could i not just "plug" them on the t case?

Comment

The YJ front axle has leaf mounts. The XJ(little cherokee)and MJ(Comanche) front axle has 4 control arm mounts, different swap bar mounts, coil spring mounts, etc. too much to position correct.
        the YJ rear axle you could cut the mounts off and reposition them.
        the speedo on the 4x2 comanche would interchange with the 4x4 transfercase.
        if a cheap cherokee XJ with a blown motor and use that running gear, or get a cherokee front axle from a junk yard.
        Ron
        1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

makes sense. ill keep my eyes out for a dana 44 off a XJ then. thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X