X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ 3.73 or 4.10

OK...I have a 87' yj
    4.2L,5 Speed,33" Super Swampers,

Currently I run 3.54 gears, but I have no power if the road isn't flat... any hill and I'm downshifting fast.So I want to change my gears, but don't want them to be too low because I drive it almost everyday.any suggestions????

Curt,

Look way out in the future and see where you will be. I went from stock 3.55's, then went to 3.73's, then went to 33's and 4.10's, and to know what I do now I'd be at 4.56's. You can waste a lot of money re-doing things like gears and axle's (parts, fluids, labor...). If you are not going to do hard and steep rock crawling, then 4.10's will make for the street and trail.

Mitch

Comment

Thanks for the info..... I don't plan on making this a HARDCORE rock crawler... I use it a lot for hunting too

Comment

Choose between 4.10's and 4.56's - you won't notice enough difference between what you have now and 3.73's

FWIW, I ran 4.10's back when I was running 33's, was pretty happy. Same transmission, 4.0

Actually ran the 4.10's with 35's for a while (forget 5th), once I went to 37's I regeared to 5.38's
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I run 4.10s and 33s. I have plenty of power on the HWY. I dont drive faster then about 70MPH but can still pass on level ground at 80MPH.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

33 swampers + dana 35 + 4.56 gears = broken D-35.
            I'd hate to see you spend a lot of $$ on that rear axle when a leaf sprung YJ could have an XJ d-44 so easy.
            The cheapest/easiest way would be to get axles from a 4 cylinder YJ. Bolt right in and they all have 4.10's.
            if you are going to gear it anyway, I'd put 4.56's in it with the heavy swampers.
            It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Thanks Guys for all the help, I think I'll start looking for 4.10's

Comment

[QUOTE=Elusive;120390] could have an XJ d-44 so easy.

will this bolt right in a YJ Wrangler?

Comment

[QUOTE=cbz692;120812]
                  Originally posted by Elusive View Post
                  could have an XJ d-44 so easy.

will this bolt right in a YJ Wrangler?
                  The only thing you need to do is move the shock mounts on the axle 90*.

It's the right width, bolt pattern, and the brakes and e-brakes work

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'm going to the ranch this weekend pig hunting and we have 2 cherkee's out there that are junk, I'll have to see whats in them.

Comment

it's a fairly rare option, but they are out there!

Comment

Working...
                      X