Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ7 Bad idle

Hey all I've got a 84 CJ7 that i'm chaseing a vacuum leak on.Anyone know of a good manual that shows the vacuum set up on these or a www. Its got a fresh tune up,but a whole lot of vac.switches I don't know what they do.Can't seem to get it to idle right all of a sudden.
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
    Hey all I've got a 84 CJ7 that i'm chaseing a vacuum leak on.Anyone know of a good manual that shows the vacuum set up on these or a www. Its got a fresh tune up,but a whole lot of vac.switches I don't know what they do.Can't seem to get it to idle right all of a sudden.
    Not sure what motor you have. I found a vacuum diagram on about.com. Maybe try this link.
    http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/r/L/85jeepvac.gif
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Sry this link has a bit more info, including and additional PCV system

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl461h.htm
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks Scott, that was what I was looking for.
        Dennis and Tammy

Comment

IF, you have the 6cyl. with the Carter BBD carb. Blow out the two small air bleed venturis(sp) and down were the stepper motor valves are. All it takes is one ultra small piece of crud to jam or block those ports. And that will cause the bad idle IF everything else is good.
          Respectfully,
          LG
          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Thanks LG, yeah its all stock w/ 258 6cyl.The carb is the next thing on my list,just hopeing it was bad vac switch or hose.
            Dennis
            Dennis and Tammy

Comment

You be in da desert man. So I will bet on crud/dirt in one of the carbs. air bleeds or a stuck "pin" in the stepper motor. Check ALL of the screws and bolts around the carb. and on your intake/exhaust manifold too to be sure they are TIGHT.......... Trust me on this.
              Respectfully,
              LG
              Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Dennis,

If you end up buying a new carb, I recenty bought a BBD for my '85 CJ7 from Guarenteed Carburetors. I paid $178.00 + $35.00 Shipping. There is no core charge if you send your old one to them within 14 days of receiving it. Return is pre-paid.

They are out of Florida. Here's their number: 1.888-399.4388
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks Roger.Still fight'n stupid vac switches when it's warm-nuf

Dennis
                  Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Dennis,

I've just about given up on ever having my CJ idle without surging until the engine is fully warmed up. I've changed just about everything. I couldn't afford to go with throttle body fuel injection like I wanted too. What with the economy going down the crapper and all. I'm not really worried about losing my job, but still, it's time to try to reign in my expeneses for a while.
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                      Dennis,

I've just about given up on ever having my CJ idle without surging until the engine is fully warmed up. I've changed just about everything. I couldn't afford to go with throttle body fuel injection like I wanted too. What with the economy going down the crapper and all. I'm not really worried about losing my job, but still, it's time to try to reign in my expeneses for a while.
                      Yeah I drooled over the idea of a TBI to.Just more then I can afford out of the box.Maybe I'll start a CJ trust fund and go for a Gov. loan.
                      Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Not sure what the name of the tubes in the carb's are, but if you clean them it will sovle most of your problems.

You have to pull the choke plate and shaft to get to the phillips screw.

when lifting the tubes out be carsfull of the gasket and small check ball. once out spray and soak the tubes in carb cleaner. (I used a drill bit or oxy cutting torce cleaning) look in the bowl and remove any containments. Reinstall.

Note here take a picture of bothsides of the linkage before you start .

Takes about 10 20 minutes.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/idle.htm
                        Last edited by D4x4Fish; 02-26-09, 08:29 AM.
                        [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                        In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by D4x4Fish View Post
                          Not sure what the name of the tubes in the carb's are, but if you clean them it will sovle most of your problems.

You have to pull the choke plate and shaft to get to the phillips screw.

when lifting the tubes out be carsfull of the gasket and small check ball. once out spray and soak the tubes in carb cleaner. (I used a drill bit or oxy cutting torce cleaning) look in the bowl and remove any containments. Reinstall.

Note here take a picture of bothsides of the linkage before you start .

Takes about 10 20 minutes.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/idle.htm
                          Thanks for the info and the web site Dan.Just replaced all my old hoses and am going to get back on this Sun.,it's been a busy week.
                          Dennis and Tammy

Comment

He's a Vacuim Diagram I use for my 1983,

[COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                            In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

WOW, here is my vacuum diagram for my Howell TBI

Comment

Working...
                              X