Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you boys come on down, I am pretty sure its related to plugs and maybe an injector, if it fires up easily I am pretty sure the timing chain is ok.
    You swapped a plug and got a mis fire on another cylinder that is a dead give away. Any way I got plenty tools and a good air compressor more then enough stuff to get us in all the trouble we ever wanted:shades:

Comment

Hi, FWIW: when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? Would do that before anything else.
      Respectfully,
      LG
      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

TJ's have the fuel filter of sorts built in to the tank inside of the cantraption that houses the fuel pump, it has no servicable fuel filter.
        He moved a sparkplug from a cyl with a misfire to the next one, after that the misfire traveled to the next cylinder part of the solution change sparkplugs its either foulded or has a cracked isolator. Hacking and spitting in the intake is generally ignition related.
        A clogged fuel filter will make the vehicle hold back under full throttle in other words it luggs and will not accelerate anymore, as soon as you ease up on the throttle it will start accelerating agin is a classic symptom of lack of fuel.
        For an easy check of your ignisiton system when its a stick shift vehicle you just get it barely rolling in first gear, then stick it in third or fourth gear and floor it. Thios really lugs the engine hard and strains the ignition system when it starts spitting and coughing in the intake it has an ignition problem if it slowly and steadily accelerates the ignition system is fine. This simple step hasn't failed me yet in over 30 years of wrenching for a living
        Last edited by aw12345; 01-15-09, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          TJ's have the fuel filter of sorts built in to the tank inside of the cantraption that houses the fuel pump, it has no servicable fuel filter.
          He moved a sparkplug from a cyl with a misfire to the next one, after that the misfire traveled to the next cylinder part of the solution change sparkplugs its either foulded or has a cracked isolator. Hacking and spitting in the intake is generally ignition related.
          A clogged fuel filter will make the vehicle hold back under full throttle in other words it luggs and will not accelerate anymore, as soon as you ease up on the throttle it will start accelerating agin is a classic symptom of lack of fuel.
          For an easy check of your ignisiton system when its a stick shift vehicle you just get it barely rolling in first gear, then stick it in third or fourth gear and floor it. Thios really lugs the engine hard and strains the ignition system when it starts spitting and coughing in the intake it has an ignition problem if it slowly and steadily accelerates the ignition system is fine. This simple step hasn't failed me yet in over 30 years of wrenching for a living
          Art,
          Obviously haven't heard from Mike yet but if he wants to I'll definitely tow him over to your place. What kind of beer do you like?
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Gave up on the beers 20 something years ago liked it way to much coke cola will do for me, you bring the beverage of your choice for you and Mike

Comment

Fixed!

Art, you were dead on! I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and all the problems are gone. Well all but the one that I had before all this started, slow to start...

I took it for a drive and then checked for any pending codes and there weren't any.

I was told today that the platnum plugs that I was using were probably part of the problem, I replaced them with Champion Coppers instead. Apparently, the platnum plugs have a resistance problem in the older model TJs.

I still have the starting problem. It takes three cranks to start the engine. This may be related to the quick pressure loss in the fuel system. I'm still open to ideas on this issue.

Regardless, Mr. Green is Back In Action! Thanks to all of you for the advice and guidance, especially to you Art. Nice work of remote diagnosis!
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Punkin Eater here we come!
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Slow start up might be due to the pump not priming properly on older tj's and yj's the ecm is prone to failing ie it doesn't prime the fuel system properly or at all. That or the distributor is not set correctly, if I am not mistaken the injectors sequence from the distributor

Comment

Nice to here Mr. Green is back.
                    Check out .

Comment

So Kurt, pumkin eater when?

Comment

Mike,

Glad to here that all is well with Mr. Green. Don't feed the eater! Be gentle!

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                        X