Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-150 question, need help

I have a '79 CJ5, 258, t-150, spicer20.

I have to let almost all the way our on the clutch before it starts grabbing. And if I speed shift, it'll almost act like it's slipping, I let off the gas and mash it again and it seems to grab and hold.

Out of adjustment? Or worn out clutch disc?
    Or other?

Need help asap.

Thanks
    [COLOR=black]1979 CJ5, 4" Lift, 33", TBI[/COLOR]

My guess, clutch is gone

Comment

Recommend a clutch kit?
      that's a clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and a pilot bushing.

Anything else? or less?
      Flywheel need surfacing?

Comment

Just rebuilt my son's T150. Did the same due to a slipping clutch and desided to rebuild the transmission while it was out as well. There isn't anything in the transmission that would cause the slip without some major noise/ vibration. The clutch the problem.

Comment

Yes and have the flywheel resurfaced

Comment

Originally posted by cweed View Post
            Just rebuilt my son's T150. Did the same due to a slipping clutch and desided to rebuild the transmission while it was out as well. There isn't anything in the transmission that would cause the slip without some major noise/ vibration. The clutch the problem.
            What parts did you buy for your rebuild?
            I'm looking at a clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and a pilot bushing. Plus a
            flywheel resurface. Anything else you recommend?
            How hard was the tranny rebuild, I might do that since
            I have it out. Parts or suggestions?

Comment

I have a friend that ownes a tranny shop and he reccommends the stock parts when it comes to jeeps, he said the stock parts are just as good as the aftermarket stuff at a fraction (friction?) of the price. so, how long did that stock clutch last before you needed to replace it? I would go cheep, stock... :2:
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

The clutch kit with the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and a pilot bushing. Is only $95. It's made by zoom I think and it uses a bowen and beck instead of a diaphram setup. Better holding power but doesn't engage as even as a diaphram setup from what I'm told. It's between the diapham and the long finger as far as performance, the long finger is usually used in drag racing.

Comment

I would go with the stock clutch also, smooth engagement of a clutch can be a life saver on a steep climb

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, but we went with an after market Crown kit. I looked at the factory kit and they had the same Timken bearing numbers as the off market kit. and it was $20 cheaper delivered. It took my boy and I a weekend to rebuild becuase we spent etra time cleaning the housing and repaiting it to look new.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I haven't driven the jeep much since the windshield and hood got in a fight, been collecting parts for things to do on the jeep. TBI, electric fan, ignition stuffs, new windshield and frame, mirrors, etc.

Still haven't gotten a good idea of what all I should replace in the trans when I pull it. I called a few tranny shops and they wanted a freaking fortune to do the work. So I'll continue researching and go from there.

Anyone know of a good t-150 rebuild article? Or something similar that might give me and idea of what parts to replace?

Comment

Trans Rebuild

Hey Brock.I've rebuilt a T-90 and a T-14 back in the day.The 150 looks about as easy.I had basic tools and the T-90 was my 1'st trans.I was told to check all gears for chips and bad wear.Replace input-output bearings and shaft needle bearings.Replace the synshro gears as these wear the most because made of lighter metal.4WheelParts has a good break down of this and others in thier catalog and its free.If a young dumb Jarhead can do it you can,good luck.
                        Dennis and Tammy
                        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                        X